Tuesday, March 14, 2006

An Exciting New Project and a Busy Life!

The last few weeks have been very busy here on the farm. Peas, carrots and onions are in the ground. At least I hope they still are....we had a doozy of a storm last night and a hard rain. I hope I don't find everything washed away! I love it when it thunders here. The sound rolls around our valley and bounces off the ridges that surround us. Last night it was so fierce it was hard to sleep. The rain did bring cooler weather for which I am very thankful. Yesterday before the storm hit it was an unseasonably warm 77 degrees. I was concerned that we may be skipping spring and starting with an early summer! But today the sky is blue, the air is crisp and cool and there is a strong breeze.....makes me think of a beautiful spring or fall day! The greenhouse will feel good today! This is the kind of weather that makes me want to dig in the dirt! I have been busy in the greenhouse planting greens and lettuce. I love lettuce and try several new varieties each year. This year my goal is to try to reduce the amount of varieties we grow in the future. I will try to pick our favorite 20! I know that still sounds like a lot but right now we grow over 40 types. I have spent the last 6 weeks working on a very exciting project! I hope to share it with all of you before the end of this week. It has taken an enormous amount of time and I hope some of you will give me some good honest feedback when I tell you what I have done!! It seems that I have spent every free minute on it and I confess I have neglected some of my normal duties to bring this project to fruition! For instance, I have not baked bread for 3 weeks - and we have certainly missed it! I bought the healthiest bread I could find but still....compared to homemade...the taste and texture were awful! I will be glad to put my hands back to bread baking! I have also learned something while working on this project....this is something I never want to do for a living! Between this project and the new puppies, I feel driven to distraction! The puppies are beginning to play now...it is so cute to watch them take a stand, growl at each other and chew on each other. Little puppy teeth are beginning to emerge and Freckles is spending much less time in the whelping box. The boys and I are spending more time in the whelping box keeping it clean! I can say that their bladders must have grown to enormous proportions! We should be seeing personalities emerge in the next week or two! It will be hard to part with any of them but....I certainly can't feed all 6 when they get bigger! The sides to the whelping box have been extended to keep the puppies in - I kept finding them under the kitchen table! This should buy us a little more time....but not much I am afraid. Today we will be finishing up spring cleaning (another chore I had neglected during the last few weeks!). It is perfect weather to throw open the windows and bring out the vinegar and baking soda! I hope we don't have to chisel the dust off of the furniture! Have a blessed day!

1 comment:

  1. 40 varieties of lettuce! How wonderful!! This will be my first year growing lettuce....we'll see if they survive the Texas heat!

    Can't wait to hear about your new project!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails