Friday, February 23, 2007

Snow, glorious snow!

We have been having a could snap here....finally! The boys have to break the ice on all of the waterers each morning - sometimes it is 4 or 5 inches thick!  We had a snowstorm last weekend and got a whopping 2 inches of snow but my boys were thriilled.  Out came the sleds and we spent the morning whirling down our sledding hill and trudging back up.  I figure I have begun to prepare those hamstrings for garden work...seems I always feel them more in the spring.

This is Elijah headed down a very steep hill while Mom prays that we aren't about to re-visit the broken arm scenario of late!  It looks like a lot of snow but in reality  we only had about 2 inches.

I am happy to say that although he took a tumble, he arrived safely at the bottom of the hill.  This next picture is of me and the two little ones about to head down the hill.  It was bitingly cold that morning and I was thankful to have my scarf.  I love the ride down but the climb back up always seems long......and Elijah will have to do a lot of work before I ever put him behind the wheel of a vehicle - what a wild driver!

This is the first winter snow we have had since my oldest son moved out on his own.  We really missed having him to play that day.  He always has something new to try and for some very odd reason likes to ride with me on the sled - he mentioned something about how he enjoys making me scream.....adorable kid!

Here are my three blessings getting ready to head down the hill and then again at the bottom....you can see a glimpse of our beehives at the bottom of the hill behind the branch of the cedar tree.  It was too cold for them to be out so we didn't have to worry about getting stung.

After spending several hours sledding, we headed in for a delicious cup of home made hot chocolate.   

Here is a wonderful recipe for hot chocolate:

1/4 cup cocoa, 4 tblsp. organic sugar, 1/2 cup boiling water, 1 qt. milk (fresh from the cow if possible!), dash of salt, 1 tsp. vanilla extract (no imitations please!)

In a saucepan combine the cocoa and sugar.  Slowly blend with the boiling water,  Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved completely, stirring constantly.  Be careful not to scorch!  Add milk gradually, with remaining ingredients.  Heat through but do not boil.

Serve with some whipped cream....real whipped cream....let's not even mention that C...W...chemical concoction!  And for a spiced version, you can add 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, 1/8 tsp. nutmeg, 1/8 tsp. ground cloves. 

Mmmmmm :)  And the cream, real cream from the cow, whipped with a touch of organic sugar.....just makes this a heavenly treat.

My God bless you with some wonderful snowy memories this winter, a blazing fire in your fireplace and  cups of steaming cocoa!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time! We are expecting 4-8 inches of snow tomorrow night.

    Sure wish we still had some boys at home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheri!
    It was a lot of fun - you just need to get those boys home when the snow flies! I added your link..thanks for letting me link to you :)
    I am enjoying your blog!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your sledding adventure. We sure miss the snow down here in the south. It looks like y'all had such fun. And the cocoa recipe sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing. I've enjoyed my visit.

    ~ Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christina!
    I am so glad you stoppped by - I visited your blog and was excited to see that beautiful dress blue uniform! My Dad was a marine - retired a Colonel. I have a nephew now serving in Afghanistan but for the last few years he has been one of the young men stationed with the President and carrying the "football"!.
    Blessings on your family!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss your J man very much. I hope he is well and enjoying his own journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mary Ellen,
    Perhaps with nicer weather headed our way, we can finally spend a day together!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails