Friday, April 20, 2007

Are you a true Tennessee native?


 
You measure distance in minutes.    

You've ever had to switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day.     

You use "fix" as a verb. Example: "I'm fixing to go to the store."     

All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect or animal.  

You install security lights on your house and garage and  leave both unlocked. 

You know what a "dawg" is.    

You carry jumper cables in your car... for your OWN car.     

You only own four spices: salt, pepper, Tabasco and ketchup.  

The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require six pages for local gossip and sports.  

You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday. 

You find 100 degrees Fahrenheit "a little warm."  

Going to Wal-Mart is a favorite past time known as "goin' Wal-Martin'" or off to "Wally World."  

You describe the first cool snap (below 70 degrees) as  good pinto-bean weather.    

A carbonated soft drink isn't a soda, cola or pop... it's a Coke, regardless of brand or flavor. Example: "What kinda coke  you want?"  

Fried catfish is the other white meat.     

We don't need no stinking driver's ed... if our mama says we can drive, we can drive.  

You understand these jokes.     

Not EVERYONE can be a Tennessean; it's an art form!

I have to confess....I've only lived here 8 years but there are many on this list that apply to me. I assume this is true because I am a southern woman. I will never qualify for some of these....although I DO understand them all.  How about you?

5 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, I do understand them. Most of them I read and think to myself "What's wrong with that?"

    I broke myself of that coke thing though. People could never understand what I was offering them. I'd ask if they wanted a coke and then poured them a Dr. Pepper. They were perplexed. I eventually started calling it pop like everyone else around here. Then there are those that find the word pop rather peculiar as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to say I understand them all and I am a native of Illinois. I did briefly live in the state of Arkansas (for about 1 month) about 20 years ago.

    Patrice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I came by way of Patrice and her friend Kina. Our front yard is in Kentucky (Guthrie) and our backyard is in Tn. (Clarksville, almost)
    I'd love to have a coke right now...Diet Pepsi, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Patrice!
    Then you are a country girl at heart :)
    Cheri

    Shabbyinthecity,
    I LOVE it :)
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,they call me a hillbilly and I say, "yes and proud of it!" I can identify with all of them,lol!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails