Saturday, September 15, 2007

A devotion.....

This devotion by Elisabeth Elliot has touched me deeply for the last few weeks...I thought I would share it with you....
Author: Elisabeth Elliot
Source: A Lamp For My Feet
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 13:4-9

Content to be Weak

What weakness are you feeling today? The inability to manage circumstances that cry out to be changed? Helplessness in the face of another's deep need, or of evil you have to watch perpetrated on others you love? A sense of inadequacy for some task laid upon you? Physical weakness or pain? The need for power to forgive an injury or keep silence about unjust accusations against you?

Christ has been there before you. Every form of human limitation He knew, and out of that utter poverty we have been made strong. Yet, again and again, in the life of each disciple, comes the experience of weakness in order that we may live His life for others.

"We who share His weakness shall by the power of God live with Him in your service" (2 Cor 13:4 NEB).

This sharing of His weakness is one aspect of the death of the cross, one of the conditions of our discipleship, and hence cause for joy rather than bitterness. For we walk the road, not alone, but with Christ, "well content to be weak at any time if only you are strong" (2 Cor 13:9 NEB). The mystery is constantly being worked out--strength out of weakness, life out of death.

6 comments:

  1. Elisabeth Elliot is one of my favorite authors/speakers.

    Thanks for sharing her wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Elisabeth Elliot. I read alot of her writings in college. I am so glad you are back to posting. So sorry to hear about the skin places. I'm grateful you had them looked at by your physician.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You Cheri, for posting this!! It was encouragement I needed today! How true to be helpless in not being able to ease someone else's pain!

    Praying for you! Kris in WA

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Cheri, for praying for my Annie...I am most grateful for the continued prayers from my prayers regarding her health..

    And a most timely devotion, to me, a helpless mother seeking to heal her little one. Thank you for posting this...

    Talk to you tonight...


    Love,
    Carla Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok... I really need rest, eh? I meant to say in the first comment that I am most grateful for the continued prayers regarding her health....

    a few too many midnight watches this week. Off to sleep...;-)


    Carla Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post was a real blessing for me and very timely! Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails