Friday, September 7, 2007

Overwhelmed....

Overwhelmed....I have been utterly overwhelmed! I promise that I had no intention of taking a month off of blogging but look what happened. Looking back, I realize that I should have just taken a hiatus as many of my fellow bloggers have done....then I wouldn't have felt guilty each day for abandoning you guys :) So, I apologize to those of you who have faithfully been checking my site and, in the future, I promise that I will not just disappear but will make every effort to take an official break after notifying ya'll. I want to thank the many readers who have contacted me by email or by phone to make sure I was okay. I am truly humbled and grateful. Some of you know the personal trial I am enduring and were concerned for me. This meant more to me than I have words....it appears that this valley is a little longer and a little deeper than I realized. This last month has been very difficult for the boys and I but God is faithful to encourage us when we need it most. Thank you especially to Julie (who is ALWAYS there for me), J.A., D.M., C.L., B.W., C.F., C.S. and her Dad, the best hugger in the world....you know who you are :). I am truly blessed with friends and prayer warriors. I am trying to take steps to relieve some of the pressure but this is difficult at best and impossible at times.

Our weather this year has been so strange. The last two weeks of August our temperatures were over 100 almost everyday. I have lived here for 8 years and don't recall ever having this kind of heat. It is too hot to be outside for anything except the pool....even at daybreak the temperatures were well over 80! The really weird thing is that our horses' winter coats are coming in - in fact are almost completely in. I can't understand why they would be getting a thick, dark coat in the middle of a heat wave but God knows what they need and we need to be aware and learn from what is happening in His creation. Perhaps we will be having an early winter.

Our area, like many others, has been experiencing a terrible drought. Our farm pond is down considerably.

tn_100_4543.JPG

The cows have been grazing in an area that used to be underwater. In the above picture, you can see the lush, darker green area at one end of the pond. This has always been underwater. This drought has also affected gardening. Even though we have drip irrigation in our garden, the heat has been hard on the plants....well.... the weeds have thrived but the good stuff is suffering!

I have been busy canning tomatoes .

tn_100_4539.JPG

I will spend Saturday doing this again. I usually make my own ketchup, tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce each year. It takes 45 lbs. of tomatoes to make 5 to 6 quarts of sauce. I do not understand why the stores can sell it so cheaply - they must put lots of fillers in these products. After I get whole tomatoes canned, I will begin on the spaghetti sauce. I use a lot of whole tomatoes during the winter in soups, stews and sauces. I use my own spaghetti sauce for homemade pizza, lasagna, spaghetti, stuffed shells and other things. These are quick and easy meals for me...sort of my own fast food :)

I have also been busy canning "wing sauce".

tn_100_4540.JPG

I have my own recipe for a hot sauce made with a particular pepper that we grow. Last year I planted an entire 33 foot bed with this pepper. The seeds had been purchased through a catalog. 110 plants! Well.....as many of you may remember, they all turned out to be pimento peppers!!!! We love pimentos...they are wonderful in the pimento cheese that I make. But.....who needs 110 of them?!

This year I saved the seed myself from some of the hot peppers that I had in my freezer and planted another 110 plants....SUCCESS!!! A good reminder that it is always better to save your own seed if you can :) I think that next year I might have to plant 2 beds. The stores don't carry this pepper so if I don't grow it we can't have it. This is true of so many varieties of lettuce, corn, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers.....well.....just about anything. God blessed us with so much variety in taste, texture, color and appearance...and we settle for what the "food giants" deem to dole out to us. Let me encourage you not to settle. Order some seed catalogs that carry heirloom seeds and add some variety to your life!

Well, on to a busy day.... boys to home-school, errands in town, tomatoes and peppers to pick and then jewelweed gathering. I will be making a soap and salve with this wonderful herb that treats poison ivy. I made the salve last year on a small scale for the first time and was pleased with the results. I sold it locally with wonderful testimonies coming back so am ready to unleash it on the world....this means you :)

May God bless your day!

11 comments:

  1. You don't know me, but that's OK. I still enjoy your reading your blog. I'm sorry for whatever hardships you are experiencing right now. It's nice that you have so many caring friends. During the bad times we come to realize how much we need other people to pray for us and to lift us up. I'm glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good to see you back. I am sorry you are enduring a trial. I will be praying for you. May the God of creation make Himself known to you today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri,
    I am glad to see you back in the world of blogging!! Enjoyed your post, and now I am going out to check our horses' coats.

    grace and peace,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy,
    Thanks so much....I appreciate your words and the wonderful reminder!

    Hi Marci!
    I appreciate the prayers - I believe it is all that keeps me going at times.
    Blessings!

    Hi Julie,
    Let me know :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are back too. I am so glad we could Ketchup (Freudian slip) on the phone last week. Praying hard here for you and yours. May the peace that surpasses all understanding lift you high.

    In Christ,

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cheri,
    I too am glad you are back! We have had a very strange summer as well, and I am still waiting for the rush to can. Our tomatoes are hardly beginning to ripen and we had our first corn -- a whole month later than last year. I've already seen geese flying south and we have the threat of temps about 30 degrees this week. And we still have to decide how to winter our chickens! You are such an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheri,
    Glad to see you back up and blogging. May God sustain you during your times of trial. Let us know if you need anything.
    Gwen (and the family)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheri, welcome back to blog world. So good to hear from you again. You have been missed! Thanks for sharing your canning photos with us...yes, that's the kind of "fast food" we all would love to have available to eat :-)

    We are keeping you and your family in prayer. I share the Word of our Lord from Psalm 18:18-19 (NIV)-

    "He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place, he rescued me because he delighted in me."

    God bless,

    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cheri,

    Welcome Back! I've missed you, too! ;o)

    Please know your in my prayers!

    May the Lord protect you, your family, and your farm!

    Joyfully,
    Kris in WA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking time to blog again despite the busyness and difficulties.

    You are still in our prayers ....and you are right about Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My boys saw the picture of the pond and said, "Wow, Mom, what happened to their water?"

    It *is* very low according to their memories.

    I'm glad you're back, too. You encourage me ~ knowing how hard life is for you, and how you keep plugging along, anyway ~ makes me try harder to *suck it up* on tough days.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails