Saturday, October 27, 2007

I am SO thankful....my cup overflows!

It has been one of those weeks. God has been so faithful to my family...no...more than that...He has been abundant in His mercy, grace and blessing! I am overwhelmed with gratitude to my Father. He has blessed me financially...worked miracles with my vehicle....given grace in a health issue....and given me peace, grace and mercy at the times I needed/wanted them most. In my most faithless moments, He is ever faithful! When I turn doubting eyes His way, He is standing with arms outstretched to receive me....I serve an awesome God!

Let me share a small portion of a devotion by Elisabeth Elliot....
Source: Keep A Quiet Heart
Scripture: Psalm 103:4-5 Psalm 92:1 Psalm 145 Psalm 68:19 Lamentations 3:22-23
An Overflowing Cup

...."The Lord is gracious and compassionate.: good to all... faithful to all his promises... loving toward all he has made.... righteous in all his ways.... near to all who call on him.... watches over all who love him.... My mouth will speak in praise of the Lord" (from Psalm 145, NIV).

As an editor my father spent his life reading other people's writings and never thought of writing a book. Three collections of his short writings were published in book form, however, one entitled New Every Morning (published by Zondervan in 1969, now out of print). Here's the title piece, an exercise in thanksgiving, and a glimpse of the man he was. I think you'll see why I'm thankful for such a father.

"Blessings taken for granted are often forgotten. Yet our Heavenly Father 'daily loadeth us with benefits' (Psalm 68:19). Think of some of the common things which are nevertheless wonderful:

"--the intricate, delicate mechanism of the lungs steadily and silently taking in fresh air eighteen to twenty times a minute;

"--the untiring heart, pumping great quantities of clean blood through the labyrinth of blood vessels;

"--the constant body temperature, normally varying less than one degree;

"--the atmospheric temperature, varying widely it is true, but never so much as to destroy human and animal life;

"--the orderly succession of day and night, spring, summer, autumn, and winter, so that, with few exceptions, man can make his plans accordingly;

"--the great variety of foods, from the farm, the field, the forest, and the sea, to suit our differing desires and physical needs;

"--the beauties of each day--the morning star and growing light of sunrise, the white clouds of afternoon, the soft tints of a peaceful sunset, and the glory of the starry heavens;

"--the symphony of early morning bird songs, ranging from the unmusical trill of the chipping sparrow to the lilting ecstasy of the goldfinch and the calm, rich, bell-like tones of the wood and hermit thrushes;

"--the refreshment that sleep brings;

"--the simple joys of home--the children's laughter and whimsical remarks, happy times around the table, the love and understanding of husband and wife, and the harmony of voices raised together in praise to God.

"All these and many others come from the bountiful hand of Him 'who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's' (Psalm 103:4,5).

"'It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness' (Lamentations 3:22,23).

"'It is a good thing to give thanks unto the Lord, and to sing praises unto thy name, O most High' (Psalm 92:1)."

Join my boys and I as we give thanks and sing praises to our most High God who redeemed our lives from destruction and crowns us with unmerited lovingkindness and tender mercies!

tn_scan-me-and-boys.jpg

7 comments:

  1. Cheri,
    I am celebrating with you on all that God has provided this week!!!! He is ALWAYS faithful...as you well know.
    grace and peace,]
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet photo of you and your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praising God right along with you! He is always faithful and so VERY good to us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And what a special photo of your family, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very happy for what God is doing in your life! I love the picture of you and your boys...what a happy-looking bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ladies,
    Thanks for rejoicing with me. Truly we serve an amazing and awesome God! So glad I will be spending eternity with ya'll...imagine standing around the throne worshiping together!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails