Friday, February 1, 2008

The Christmas Mother....

I know it is past the holidays but I wanted to share something that I found in my stocking on Christmas morning. It was one of the loveliest presents...a letter from my 17 year old Jeremy. Actually, each of the boys had written me a letter, thanking me and expressing their love for being there to love and support them through these last couple of very difficult years.

Most of that is too personal to share but I can't express enough how much it blessed me. In Jeremy's letter he included a story that he had written...I share it below in the hopes of encouraging other Mama's who do so much for their family through the holiday season...it especially meant so much this year because our gift giving was a little on the "lean" side but our memorable moments were numerous, rich and full.
The Christmas Mother

The presents are wrapped, the tree is trimmed, the dinner is ready, the house is clean, and the kids are all scrubbed and brushed for Christmas morning. Who has done all this you might ask? The Christmas Mother of course! She makes everything ready for Christmas every year, year after year. She makes the dinner, wraps presents and decorates everything without being asked and without much thanks and all the while continues her normal chores.

As Christmas morning arrives She has much to do, bake the rolls, baste the turkey, make the casserole, all while dealing with children eager for presents. She is the very picture of motherly kindness and patience.

As the presents are opened, eyes sparkle, mouths gasp, and hands grasp the gifts happily. Very few thanks issue out of the joy of Christmas morning but it doesn't bother The Christmas Mother because of the look of joy in the children's faces and the gasps of delight that issue forth from the flurry of wrapping paper that flies from beneath the tree.

As the last present is opened she calls the children to the table for a light breakfast (which she prepared earlier while they slept). After the breakfast the children run back to their presents while The Christmas Mother goes to the kitchen to prepare for the Christmas Dinner.

A few minutes before the relatives arrive The Christmas Mother calls all her children and makes sure they are clean and presentable after playing with the many wonderful gifts which she had given them.

At the table her children behave well...because she has raised them well. And after the dinner, she watches her children run to the Grandparents for the next round of presents...while she cleans up the dinner dishes. With a heart full of joy from the satisfied looks on the children's face as they watch their Grandparents drive away, she then shoos them all to bed. As she tucks the youngest in bed, he utters three words which make this most definitely the very best day of the year. "Thank you Mommy!".

I love you Mom

Thank you Mom

Jeremy

8 comments:

  1. Wow!
    That just about brought tears to my eyes! I pray that one day my children are as wonderful and thoughtful as yours - and boys at that! :)
    Your son is an excellent writer- kudos to his teacher ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure, Cheri! Your boys are such a blessing and we love them and you.

    Well written, Jeremy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri,
    Tell Jeremy he did a fantastic job! Oh by the way, you too have done a fantastic job raising your boys, my friend.

    And by the way, our children had a great night playing with your children the other evening. (Josiah, thanks again for playing with them ALL evening in the COLD)! On Thursday morning, that was all Jacob, Hope, and Seth talked about! Jacob told me that he had played so hard during hide and seek that his leg muscles were sore that morning!!
    You and your family have truly been a blessing to us from the Lord Himself!

    love to all,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet!!! I think this would be evidence that you are definitely a Proverbs 31 woman..."and her children will arise and call her blessed"...what great encouragement for a mom like me with 4 little ones!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How absolutely precious. What a treasure. It made me cry. You have raised some good ones Cheri!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I do as good a job as you are doing, Cheri.

    On a different note, I tagged you for a meme, come by if you want to play.
    http://gwibbles.shaneck.com/2008/02/03/tagged-seven-random-thoughts/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was beautiful and so thoughtful. What wonderful children you have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Ladies...my heart was touched as yours was...I truly am blessed by my boys.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails