Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Double Digits!

My baby turned 10 this month. MY BABY! All I have heard for weeks is "Double Digits!". Evidently this is a milestone in a child's life...I don't think we had that saying when I was a kid but that was many decades ago....let's not go there...

I worked hard for this child...I was 42 when I got pregnant and yes I was *trying*! I spent a lot of that pregnancy flat on my back to keep from going into early labor...occasionally I got to ride around in a wheel chair. Woo hoo! It was a long 9 months. But....was it ever worth it....this is my joy-filled child. He is always happy and it is infectious...he brings a smile where ever he goes. He is...a delight! And perhaps just a wee bit mischievous.

We had a small family celebration at lunch. This year he actually drew me a sketch of what he wanted on his cake. Cakes somehow got to be a big deal over the years...not sure how that started. Each year I pray over what/how to decorate and each year the Father blesses with inspiration. This year Elijah described his cake this way...."I want a forest of trees, with a path down the middle, and a cardinal in flight over the top of the forest, headed for it's nest, with a big 10 coming out of the nest, and logs all around the bottom of the cake with branches crawling up the side of the cake". Whew...what a request!

The picture isn't great but maybe it will give you an idea....

tn_100_5536.JPG

He picked sparkler candles....I don't know if we have had those before but they don't exactly go out when you blow on them....it takes more of a continual gale force wind.

tn_100_5565.JPGtn_100_5566.JPG

If you notice...they are re-lighting by themselves. It actually became pretty funny!

My favorite picture of the day was this one,

tn_100_5560.JPG

my boys reading an original G.I.Joe comic book together.

That evening, we had a church group meeting here. So we had to have another little party which meant another cake...believe it or not I didn't hear any complaints from Elijah (or anyone else for that matter!). This time I got to pick...carrot cake with cream cheese frosting and decorated with all of our nicknames for our Doodle...uh...Elijah.

tn_100_5582.JPG

He loved it! I did too - quick and easy...the other cake took quite a while. During that party, I was able to snap this picture of one of Elijah's favorite people (mine too!).

tn_100_5577.JPG

And I'll bet a lot of you read her blog too.

It was a wonderful day...and bittersweet. It seems that they grow so quickly...I know... all mothers have this same lament. I still can hardly believe that we hit "double digits"....in a blink of the eye he will be a teenager.... and then a grown man. I already have one all grown up with two fast behind him. Somehow..this one seems harder...I guess because there are no babies behind him.

Happy Birthday Lijah-do!

10 comments:

  1. We just hit the double digits with our oldest two months ago. God is good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Elijah! Wow. What a day with two cakes and two digits :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheri,
    tell Elijah I haven't forgot I still need to teach him Dominoes!!!

    love to all,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. My little cousin (9 & 1/2 years old) has a teacher that calls her students "double digit midgets" when they reach 10 years old. I thought that was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather,
    God IS good :)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    Hi Gwen...Thanks for taking the time - I told Elijah there was a comment FOR him - he was thrilled!
    Cheri

    Julie,
    Don't think he will LET you forget.... :)

    Dreamer,
    I love the double digit midget - I'll run that by Elijah :)

    Blessngs,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Belated Birthday, Elijah!

    Cheri, you are quite the cake maker/decorater.

    I loved all of those trees.
    Nice job!

    It was hard for me too when my "baby" turned 10. It just goes by too fast.

    God Bless!
    Amy:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, Elijah, you do look a lot older than the last time I saw you! Happy Belated Birthday!

    Cheri - great work on both cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness that cake is impressive!

    When I turned 10, it was a HUGE deal to me... i am not sure why either.

    My mom is always saying the same thing about her "babies". out of us 3 my brother is the youngest at 15, (he's as tall if not taller than Josh). One of these days I'll be in the "Mommy shoes" and will better understand. :)

    blessings and love to y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday greetings to Elijah! My oldest just turned 17 today, and I'm still in shock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Belated, Elijah! I know you are a blessing to your mama!

    (Great cake!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails