Friday, March 7, 2008

Making Herbal Poultices and Compresses

This is a long post with lots of pictures. Just a warning!

Compresses and Poultices are some of the easiest forms of herbal remedies. I have been using them for years. I will go through the process of making a Poultice step by step with lots of pictures. I will cover two ways to make a Poultice. Then I will share how a Compress is different and how to make one....no pictures but they really aren't needed.

Jeremy got roped into this volunteered after he fell victim to another spider bite. He has a part time job doing yard work/gardening/landscaping/building projects for a friend of ours. He works two days a month. The last few weeks he has been dismantling an outhouse..evidently it was occupied by a lot of those 8 legged creatures.

He showed me a bite on his leg - it was swollen with a hard center, dark red, very hot to the touch and painful...with red streaks. It was hard to get a good picture.... the flash sort of washed out the color but it was very dark red.

tn_100_5489.JPG

So...we start with Plantain. It should be chopped. You can either use it fresh during the season or you can use dried. At this time of year I use dried Plantain. Pick it all season, let it dry and keep it in a glass airtight container so that you always have it on hand. If you travel - take a small container with you.

tn_100_5497.JPG

You are going to place a handful or two of Plantain into a pot with a tight lid....glass, stainless steel or ceramic...never aluminum or copper or anything coated (so many NASTY chemicals are released when they are heated...another post entirely!). Then you are going to pour hot water directly over the herbs in the pot. (You can also start with cold water, bring the mixture to a boil and boil a few minutes covered tightly.) You want enough water to make a pasty consistency...not too much ....you sort of want a wet mush.

tn_100_5498.JPG

Then...one of the MOST IMPORTANT PARTS....

tn_100_5499.JPG

COVER THE POT!! You don't want all of the essential oils of this plant going up in steam...literally! Turn the burner on simmer and allow them to continue to heat for a couple of minutes. Turn the burner off and let this sit about 10 or 15 minutes. When that is done it should look something like this...

tn_100_5500.JPG

Now comes the fun part :) You are going to spoon this into a cotton cloth. The cloth needs to be large enough to fold several times so that you don't have herbs falling out all over the place. You also need to make sure this isn't too hot to place on the skin...we don't want to add a burn on top of the spider bite! Also make sure that you are using an all natural cloth. Many fabrics today are made with chemicals... can you say polyester? (Another way to do this is to coat the area of treatment with a little oil and place the herbs directly on the skin...my boys don't like this because the herbs tend to stick to the skin even though the purpose of the oil is to prevent the sticking...must have something to do with hairy legs!)

tn_100_5502.JPG

There should be some "juice"....I usually pour a little over the herb just before I fold the cloth up. You want this to be moist on the skin. When it is all folded it should look similar to this....

tn_100_5504.JPG

I try to have only one layer of cloth between the herbs and the skin. Then you place the poultice on the affected area...in this case the spider bite. Be prepared...my boys all cry "it's too hot!". However, if I can hold it in my hands comfortably...it isn't too hot. Heat is needed.

tn_100_5505.JPG

Once this has cooled, I add more hot herb and repeat the process several times. Once we are done, I usually top this off by applying my Healing Salve if it is a bite, wound or other break in the skin. This was done at around 9 pm. The next morning the bite looked like this...

tn_100_5516.JPG

The swelling was completely gone...as was the hard knot in the center. It was cool to the touch, the red was completely gone, (just a touch of pink here and there) and there was no more pain. Just the normal slight itch of the healing process....to which we apply Lavender Salve for relief.

Now...to make a compress. The difference between a compress and a poultice....for a poultice you are using the herbs...for a compress you are just using the "juice". You will follow the same steps outlined above but you will add more water to the herbs and allow it to cook a bit longer. You will then strain off the herbs so that you are left with an herbal infusion (a fancy word for tea...although for a compress you won't be drinking the tea!). Soak the cloth in the tea, wring it out and apply to the affected area. Repeat several times.

One of our favorite herbal compresses is Sorrell. Josiah, being so fair skinned, burns easily in the summer. Sorrell is a wonderful relief for sunburn. I make the infusion and then refrigerate it. The cool compress is a relief on sunburned skin and the sorrel helps reduce the pain and redness of a sunburn. I lay the cloth on his back, let it sit 10 minutes or so and then repeat. For Josiah, it takes the sting away long term.

I like a lavender compress for a headache. The coolness along with the benefits of lavender help to relieve that tension headache!

There are many herbs that can be used for poultices and compresses....the variety of herbs that our Father has given us is mind boggling. I encourage you to keep these in mind as you grow your herbs this year and as you study their properties.

I'll be glad to answer questions either in email or in the comment section below.

14 comments:

  1. Once again thank you. I had wondered about this and kind of assumed this was how it worked but thought maybe I was being too simple.

    I wonder if for arthritis you could add the infusion to a bath and soak in it instead of using a compress (my RA affects most of my leg and arm joints and trying to make a compress for each may get extreme.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Cheri. I think I could do this!!
    love,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] If you ever get bitten by a bug or are in the need of a little herbal care, be sure to bookmark TNfarmgirl’s entry on making poultices and compresses. [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather,
    You could do this but it would dilute it a lot...not sure how effective it would be. I would make a large batch - very strong and try it. Let me know :)

    Julie,
    You could do this easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what is the benefit of using a poultice over a compress? (not literally one on top of the other - choosing a poultice instead of a compress...)
    thanks!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheri,

    Thank you for posting this! Learning more about using natural methods, and specifically herbs, for assisting our bodies healing, has been on my 'list of things to do/learn' for a long time. I am seeing, this IS the year I begin to focus and actually have 'hands on' applying it, and it's all in the Lord's perfect timing. :o)

    Thank you, for having a desire to share with others, about God's wonderful creations! :o)

    Kris in WA

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tracy,
    It depends on the herb and the problem. As you study different herbs and then look to the reason you are using them (i.e. what's the problem?)..you will be able to determine which is more appropriate..a compress or a poultice...I don't know that there is an either or rule that applies in all cases.
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear TNfarmgirl,

    Thank you for taking the time to put this on the web. I am a farmgirl from Michigan(dairy farm), although its been a long time since I am on the farm. No boys in the family:}
    Anyway, My husband, has had 6 back surgeries and has two cages and lots of screws.Sometimes one side on his lower back just decides to get hot and swell up lots. I have been simply using hot/cold water compress and that has brought some relief but I was wondering if there might be a more specific herbal poultice that might help with the inflammation and swelling.
    God Bless,

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lois,

    First you need to determine WHY it is getting hot and swelling...is there an underlying infection? something else going on? It is much better to treat a problem and thereby loose the symptoms that it is to just treat a symptom. Symptoms return if the underlying reason isn't corrected.

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to try my first poultice. Thought you'd want to know. I'm very sceptical, but willing to try it. But my puoltice will be one of slippery elm and/or Lobelia. It's good to see online help. I'll give it a couple of days, then give you an update.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Henry,
    Let me know what happens! I've been using them for years with great success. Feel free to ask questions :)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. We had a bite of some sort in our family this past week. After a little more than a day and the swelling and irritation getting worse and worse, I remembered this blog post. I made our daughter the plantain poultice that you walked us through above. The results were almost identical to the results you showed us above.

    Thank you so much for sharing with us the things you've learned. Your sharing/teaching has been a tremendous help to our family several times and I know that I haven't mentioned it properly previously. Thank you, again. We truly appreciate it!!

    Blessings ~
    Lisa and family

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa,
    YEAH!!! Isn't it just amazing?! His healing plants work wonders...all praise to Yahweh!

    Thank you for your kind words! I'm so thankful that you are being helped by my attempts at writing!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the info... i'll put it to good use :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails