Sunday, March 30, 2008

You can lead a *bull* to water...

Well, sort of...but it isn't easy and, you definitely can't make him drink!

tn_100_5601.JPG

The boys were working on breaking our little bull to lead. We were told, by many older and wiser neighbor farmers to tie him up so that he "learned" that the lead rope had control. Then, periodically through the day, lead him to food and water. Rrriiiigggghhhhttt!

tn_100_5602.JPG

He was a pain a wee bit uncooperative. It took both boys, using combined strength, to try to move this bull to the water. And these boys are STRONG! I think it would have been easier to move the water to him but, then, that would have nullified the whole purpose.

tn_100_5603.JPG

And when they got him there...no way was he going to take a drink! Look at how he has those hooves dug into the dirt...makes me think of when my boys were toddlers!

tn_100_5604.JPG

Siah tried showing him the water, splashing some on the end of his snout....NOT INTERESTED!

tn_100_5607.JPG

The boys tried loosening the lead rope - and it appeared that he might take a drink but alas he was as stubborn as a, well, a bull! Many sayings went through my mind that day..."bull in a china shop" came vividly to mind as I watch him kick and buck.

The boys went through this every few hours - all day long. We were working in the garden and kept him tied nearby where we could keep an eye on him. Nora, his adopted mama, was beginning to get a bit irked with the boys....they were messing with HER baby! She wasn't pleased.

Late in the afternoon we turned him loose - expecting him to head for the water...nope!

tn_100_5609.JPG

Truthfully, I think he waited until we weren't looking to drink his fill....wouldn't that be just like a stubborn child?

As always, our Father, used this agrarian scene to teach and remind me. Questions that went through my mind over the day while watching this little bull.....Do I ever act like that bull towards my Father? Am I stubborn when He wants to teach me new things?

We were trying to bring that bull to something that was not only good for him but tasted good...am I that way with Father? Do I dig my heels in and struggle against His will because He is leading me down a new or different path? Do I miss blessings because I don't follow gently when He leads?

Do you?

7 comments:

  1. It's well-known that you can lead a horse (or a bull!) to water but you can't make them drink, but you can feed them salt!

    I guess sometimes the Lord feeds us salt too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheri one thing we do to help teach our calves to lead is to get a little snack they like. They love salted peanuts (after you fight with them the first few times to get one in their mouth) =). Then we go out and hold out a peanut. They learn to come running when the see us. Then as you hold your lead close to walk, hold a peanut out in front. Don't give them a whole bunch as you don't want to make them sick, but it has really helped us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Humbling! I never realized just how stubborn I am.

    God Bless!
    Amy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheri,

    Maggie is working with our calves to train them to work as oxen. One thing she said you could consider is changing the calf's halter for one with a cinching chain under his chin rather than just a ring. The halter tightens as he fights the lead and he'll stop when it hurts!

    She also asked if it would be possible to bottle fed him (with your cow's milk, but bottled) so that he is handled a lot. The more they are handled when very young the easier later.

    Thanks for the great pictures of your boys! I wish we could visit again.

    Debbie S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheri,

    These are fabulous photos. You can feel the pulling of the bull looking at them.

    The second to last photo is very interesting and reminds me of another lesson from the situation: about not stepping into the struggle of those you love who are striving with God (however well-intentioned one may be, and however hard it is to watch the suffering of your loved one -- God must deal with them).

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the pics!!!!
    My aunt and uncle would tie their calves to the tractor to break them to lead.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails