Monday, April 14, 2008

My yoke is heavy..

but His is easy. I need to engrave this on my heart.
Time for God's Will by Elisabeth Elliot

One reason we are so harried and hurried is that we make yesterday and tomorrow our business, when all that legitimately concerns us is today. If we really have too much to do, there are some items on the agenda which God did not put there. Let us submit the list to Him and ask Him to indicate which items we must delete. There is always time to do the will of God. If we are too busy to do that, we are too busy.

Lord, help me to take your yoke on my shoulder, not a yoke of my own making. May I learn from You to be gentle and humble-hearted. May I find that your load is light.

I have so many responsibilities right now: garden, home, cooking, laundry, financial struggles, schooling, legal issues, business....I feel like I have become a juggler....and I keep dropping the balls...

I need this as a daily reminder...how many of these balls have my Father's name on them? How many can I lay down?

What about you?

5 comments:

  1. Harried and hurried... and affecting those around me, too. Thanks for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheri,
    I know exactly how you feel! There are days I get exasperated and look at my children and say, "I can't do it all!"

    Things don't get done, things get done poorly and things get started on not finished. Time and age and enough frustration has gotten me to a place where I now thank Him for that that I do get done and for the lessons I've learned on the things that didn't get done. But it is an ongoing battle internally.

    I have had to let some things go. The yard and gardens this year are the weediest and unkempt they have been since we've been here. They are still growing but not pretty to look at! I fight the urge to weed everytime I go by but I have more important things to do!!

    And when the kids start noticing that I'm getting exasperated with the undone things, they are getting pretty good at giving a helping hand. My oldest has gotten to the point where she's taking some things over to help- it sure is a Godsend!

    And the other day, I had friends over to help unload feed, and one of the moms had her boys get the mower and start mowing for me!!

    Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...well, surely you qualify to feel this way. My children are all grown, just one lives at home, but works all day. I still find it hard to cope with all I have here. Obviously very much time to declutter, dejunk, pare down and live even simpler! But oh so hard to do! Blessings on you and yours...you do have a full plate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes! Thank you for the reminder. I needed to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cheri,

    I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was just telling my pastor the same thing two days ago, that I cannot juggle plates. He offered to come up to our home to answer some questions I have about church since we're in the process of becoming members. I said, "Thank you, but...uh...NO!" :-) I explained how I just don't have time right now to get everything done with homeschooling, working, etc., and my house looks like a wreck, as I took down the curtains, knick-knacks, pictures, books, etc. and boxed it up down last November, thinking that I'd have time to paint. Well, I haven't and it's all still in boxes. I informed him he may visit in June, after school is done, after I have scrubbed and painted, after I have everything put away, after the garden is in, after the chickens have a run built, after the underpinning if fixed that blew down yet again this winter.... LOL I think I'll have to write down that devotion. Thanks for posting it. :-)

    Andi

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails