Wednesday, June 18, 2008

All Grown Up....

Being a mama is so bittersweet at times. I am watching my boys (my babies!) turn into men before my very eyes. And such good men...what treasures are being wrought before my eyes as they submit to their Creator...wanting His best for their lives.

I watched this miracle over several days recently....the Father used baling hay to show me. My boys put the sidebar mower back together (the blade was found in pieces). We were going to attempt to bale hay for the first time by ourselves. We were all kind of excited....could we do this?

I met them at the door...it was time to mow. Jeremy reminded me that it was hot, that there really wasn't much I could do and that they could handle it..."Stay inside where it's cool mom...." words to protect, care for...love.

Jeremy mowed the field....Josiah helped. It was done and we waited for days, holding our breath....waiting to see if the unexpected rain would fall or miss us. Thankful when it passed by although we need the rain.

Time to put the hay in rows for baling....something I have done before. Again, I was met at the door....with words of love, protection, care...."we can handle this Mom....stay inside...you do enough..."

I managed to shoot some pictures...it was hot....really hot out....but I found older son making a demonstration pass for younger son who doesn't have as much experience with the tractor.



Then quickly they were together, riding this huge piece of equipment, Jeremy...always protecting, guiding and loving his younger brother....was riding shotgun...teaching, encouraging.....love in action.... I watched as long golden rows were laid out neatly in a field...thoughts of winter danced though my head and a quiet reassurance that the animals would be fed filled my heart....because of these two.....



Time to drive the baler...again, something I've done many times. I love the sound of the baler which is unusual for me...normally I hate repetitive noise...it's rhythmic thumping soothes me...fills me with good feelings which I haven't totally sorted out yet....

Again...I was met with the "we can handle it Mom". I started to argue but decided instead to let my babies be men before my eyes. Grateful, proud, amazed, I thanked my Father for such as these.

I watched this pair....so different in personality and temperament...working closely together, helping each other, accomplishing the work of a man. I watched as long rectangles fell from the back of the baler....each one a promise of food for the coming winter. My heart was filled with gratitude....there were dozens....I wondered who had guessed the right number we would end up with from this small field.

At this point the heat was beginning to build...close to 100 degrees. After the baling, I suggested waiting till the cool of the evening to load the hay....but they wanted to be done...

Now came the really grueling part. I was allowed to pull the hay wagon with my truck. I normally use the tractor but because of the heat these young men wanted to hook the wagon to my truck so that I and my navigator (Elijah) could stay cooler. It was 101 degrees out. Armed with lots of ice water...we began....

I think these pictures speak to the difficulty of this job...





I have never seen my boys work harder or more diligently to accomplish a task...and under such grueling circumstances....did I mention that it was 101 degrees outside? They worked non stop...these bales weigh about 80 lbs. each. I am amazed at the strength of my boys...years of farm work I guess. Josiah, being shorter than Jeremy had trouble lifting them once we were on our third "layer" of bales. For the last pass in the field, he had the arduous job of staying on the wagon and "organizing" the stacks of hay and keeping a space clear for Jeremy to be able to throw the next bale

The final count....54 bales of hay from one small field. A huge wagon filled with promise...and three young men knowing that it was a job well done.



One son unloaded onto the hay elevator while one took it from the elevator and stacked it neatly in the hay loft. Again, I offered to wait until the cool of the evening...again they just wanted to "be done".

And here they are....done....too tired initially even to climb the stairs to the shower.



How thankful I am to my Father for boys such as these...who have allowed their heavenly Father to take difficult personal circumstances and use them to mold them into men....godly men....caring, loving men.

How thankful I am that although they have not had the proper role model on how to care for, protect and cherish....they are, with Christ's strength (Phil. 4:13) able to care for, protect and cherish their mama.

I remember my Grandma and my Mama saying that if you want to know how a man will treat you...watch how he treats his mother....I don't think the future wives of these young men have to worry about a thing!

"Thank you Father, that you have blessed me with three such wonderful young men. Your hand on their lives is so evident, their desire to please You so clear and their love for You so strong....I am blessed that You have entrusted them to my care for these fleeting years...."

14 comments:

  1. You have such special boys! You've done well, with the Lord's help, of course. If only people could see the value in homeschooling, as it's not just for academics -- but a lifestyle that fosters caring for others and building a tight knit family that greatly loves each other and looks out for one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly have very wonderful young men in your home. It apparent how very proud you are of them. I'm sure your approval means more to them than you know. You are a good mama to have such loving boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to your boys, and to yourself. You've done a wonderful job of raising these young men, with the Lord's help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cheri, I cried as I read your post. My baby is 24 and getting married this fall. It is bittersweet to see them grow up into men. I am so thankful for young men like yours and like mine. You did a great job Momma!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wiping away tears of joy! Beautiful post, wonderful boys, Faithful and Loving Heavenly Father and a kind, caring and teaching mother.

    Well done, Cheri! Thanks be to God!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful! Great job mama! I pray my boys grow up to be such blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! You have every right to be proud and thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet post!!! It brought tears to my eyes! Our Father blessed you with special boys! :o)

    Blessing's,

    Kris in WA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Or should I say, THE WORLD needs men like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep up the good fight. We need men like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are wise to let those boys do what the Lord intended for them to do, using their minds in conjunction with the healthy bodies He gave them to complete a task so central to the success of your livelihood. I bet those young men will never forget last week and the satisfaction and joy that comes from a job well done.

    Praying for all of you this beautiful morning and may He be glorified for all that He is and how He keeps his promises.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I'm simply blessed by your testimony of your sons. If I only had the words to express what is in my heart and mind after reading a loving Mama's written expression of her manly sons.

    You are blessed indeed. May you continue to be blessed ~

    Lisa W

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes, too. I've been thinking about y'all, and I hope all went well today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great blessing those sons are for you! I can hear the thankfulness and gratefulness you have for them coming out in your post.
    Fine young men!
    Blessed Mom!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails