Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Catching up...

I've been pretty quiet - but I hope I have good reason.

We have been really busy outside. We had a glorious spring this year - long, wet and cool! We normally put the pool up on Memorial Day weekend but it was just too cold!

So, we spent our time getting the garden in - we are over 1/2 way there. Still have some herbs, peppers and tomatoes, along with more melons.



This bed is filled with flowers, broccoli, cabbage, snow peas, cukes and lettuce. We have been enjoying the broccoli and lettuce for weeks now.

This is our squash bed. Lots of squash, zuchinni and flowers.



Squash is one of my family favorites - we devoured our first squash a few weeks ago and have been enjoying them regularly ever since.

Elijah loves them lightly battered and friend - a true southern boy!  He is also quick to pick a pretty bouquet of zinnias, cosmos, cornflowers, poppies and sunflowers...aaahhhh..the glory of summer!

Our watermelon bed is only partially planted I have some plants in the greenhouse to add in a week or so. We wanted to try to string our watermelon harvest out all summer long this year

I have all of the sweet peppers in and a few of the hot. I still have an entire bed to do of Fresno peppers. This is the pepper that I use to make a KILLER wing sauce. Probably one of my favorite foods. Last year the chickens harvested more of these peppers than we did but we are working on fencing them out this year.

I have some tomatoes and melons left to plant along with herbs and flowers.  Life has just been a bit overwhelming the last few weeks.

Stay tuned for pictures of our hay baling experience earlier this month.  I am SO proud of my boys!

Thanks for hanging in here and thanks for those loyal readers who have been concerned and called to check on me....I bless you all!

****A note to the sweet couple who left a message and their phone number...I don't have long distance services so I can not return your call.  However, if you will call me after Friday I would be glad to help you anyway I can.  I am more easily reached after 9:00 pm.

6 comments:

  1. You make me jealous, with eating out of your garden already! The only thing "ready" in my garden is comfrey!

    Thanks for sharing, and we're praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My garden so far is very sad. The only thing that I've got growing is some peppers...but I've got a few hens that keep getting out of the coop and pecking at them! A nuisance!

    But I've put in some squash and eggplant and melons which should withstand the heat. The sweet potatoes are coming along nicely!

    We'll be praying for you on June 19th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks amazing! Sounds like you have a special relationship with your boys. Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too, will be praying for you on Thursday. I can't imagine losing your house and all the work you've put in on your garden, let alone the opportunity to homeschool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be praying for you all. I too can not imagine losing my home and the choice to homeschool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cheri,

    I was checking in today, and was blessed to read your posts! :o) Wow! I can't believe your garden! Looks WONDERFUL!!! Can you send some of your warm weather up to the Northwest? We certainly can use it. We are having very cool weather trends. Our warm season crops are struggling, but cold season crops growing long and strong. (I'm praying for peppers and tomatoes for this year's storage).

    You have 'TRULY' been a blessing to my family! You have inspired us in many ways of our lives: to grow and store, as much of our foods as possible, making foods from scratch, making/using medicinal herbs, (just to name a few) and most importantly, to be in total reliance on our Father in Heaven!!

    Many Thank You's and Blessing's, too!!!

    We will be praying!

    Kris in WA

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails