Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Snakes!

When I moved to this farm my "theology" on snakes was that "the only good snake is a dead one". I must admit that I have changed my mind. I don't think I will ever develop a fondness for snakes...however I have come to understand the jobs of certain snakes. Some snakes will actually go after and kill poisonous snakes....those snakes I like and it is a good thing because this year we have a huge amount of black snakes. The local farmer's tell me that this is not unusual after a year of drought. We had a deliciously wet spring but we have been weeks without rain now so I think we confused the snakes...they just thought the drought was over.

About 2 weeks ago, Elijah came running in from the barn to tell me that there was a snake in the feed trough eating an egg that a straying banty left in the hay. The boys went to get the standard tools - a long pole and a trash can. They brought me this:



Don't you just wish you had boys who would bring you such lovely gifts?  What ever happened to those little dandelion and buttercup bouquets they used to pick for Mama all the time?  Well ladies, once they grow up they bring such lovely things as snakes, toads, weird bugs and more which all lead to looking things up in books, categorizing, using the microscope or stereoscope and so on and so on....homeschooling in action!

The snake dropped the egg when the boys put him (her?) into the trash can.  I guess the trauma of being hauled out of the hay at the end of a long pole was too much for the poor thing.

The boys took it down and released it at our pond where we tend to find water moccasins and copperheads.  We are hoping it will "kill all the bad guys"!

About 3 days after this, the boys came running in to tell me that there was another snake IN the trellis outside the laundry room window - it was posed with its big mouth right over a  little sparrow's nest.  From the bulge in it's tummy I think it met one of the Sparrow family....

poor little bird.

This snake was what you might call feisty.  Again the boys trudged down to the pond and released the snake to take dominion over the bad guys.  As a side note...the boys actually asked me if I wanted to hold it or pet it....I think that perhaps they have lost their minds....

Then just a few days after this picture was taken, the boys came running in to tell me that there was ANOTHER snake up in the trellis...or perhaps the same one.  It took about 20 minutes to get it down - this one was larger so it wasn't the same snake. (Perhaps we have a "Free Eats Here" sign posted somewhere in the snake kingdom).  It was also very aggressive.  It fought hard to stay wrapped up in my jasmine plant.  I was unaware that ALL snakes will rattle their tales to scare you (it did!).  It also continually struck out at the stick they were using to pull it down.  Once they got it down, they knew it wasn't the same snake - much bigger and stronger.  Again...down to the pond.  (Don't think I will be fishing anytime soon!)

Then just last week...yes again....the boys came running with another trash can.....they'd just found one coming out of the garden and crossing our driveway.  Sorry, I've had my fill of snakes this month and didn't take a picture.  Again to the pond.  Perhaps the pond should be named Snake Lake at this point.  I will say that I am more aware of the ground around my feet in the garden than I have been for years.  I've found lots of critters in my garden (bunnies, chicks, hens, toads, frogs, birds and their nests, garden spiders, black widows) but never a snake before.

I must mention though....none of this happened till this lady started talking about snakes.....hhhmmmmm....let's hope she doesn't mention bears.....

4 comments:

  1. ewww yuck! there is very little I dislike more than snakes! thankfully they weren't poisonous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have very fond memories of this kind of snake! I would be with your sons, trying to pet it (very carefully). In Ohio where I encountered them, we called them black rat snakes. I was a nature counselor at a Boy Scout Camp during college, and some of the men on staff caught one under their platform tent (apparently eating mice).

    They feel like flexible, strong muscle to touch them. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate snakes! So far we've only found two, one dead, one alive and slithering around in the tomato patch. I tried to kill the live one and told my little brothers to toss the dead one in the woods.Thankfully, we live far enough north that none of our snakes are poisonous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails