Friday, July 25, 2008

Dawn comes early....

I have been watching the hand of my Father over the last few weeks...moving mightily in our behalf in many areas! I watched it again last week as He delivered another blessing to us. A four legged one! I received an email that some people who we like to buy goats from (no worries from CAE or CL!) were aware of our situation and were sending us a new buck! Not only that, they had a friend traveling from the coast of N.C. back to Nashville and would bring the little buck along! How easy can it be?

We talked to the gentleman last week and he told us he would call when he got within an hour of Newport TN which is about an hour from us. The call came....just before dawn. Jeremy and I jumped in our clothes and in my suburban. My brother, who was visiting, asked what we would haul the buck in. I told him the only thing I had....the back of my suburban. I think he thought we had lost our minds. But, after all, just a few weeks ago I hauled a calf back there...how hard could it be?

We lined the back with a tarp...laid down a little hay for absorbing in case it was necessary and off we went. Dawn broke as we headed down I-81. It was a beautiful morning...kind of cool actually. It felt more like fall than summer!

When we got to Newport, we called and found out that they had just arrived also. We met them at Hardees but it was so busy we decided to move across the street to the empty lot of the local ABC store. He had a pick-up full of goats! We were hoping that the little black and white one was ours and we weren't disappointed. He looked just like one we had years ago!

We moved him easily from his truck to mine and then visited for about 30 minutes. Then we were off to home. This little buck laid down immediately and stayed that way until we got to our driveway. Not a glitch, not a goat berry and nothing that needed to be "absorbed"! It was SO easy!!

We backed up to the field, deposited him, fed him and watered him and were done by 8:00 am! Tell me what you think...

We think he is adorable and looks like a duplicate of one of our favorite bucks...whose name was Oreo. We may be headed for a repeat in the name department!

He is very gentle. The girls all came out to check him out and it was hilarious. Heads went higher, back arched...they were definitely showing off....

He sniffed, and made those funny faces that only a buck can make. Seriously. We have often talked about making some bleachers for the goat field. We'd use them for observation during spring to watch the babies play and during fall to watch the buck and does show off!

Here he is up close and personal...don't you just LOVE the curly hair?



The hair is adorable but it is the smell that I just can't get past. It is hard to be affectionate with a buck. They loved to be scratched like the girls but the only thing that gets that smell off is goat milk soap!!

He has been crying a lot - he misses his friends and family and really wants to be put in with the ladies. However, I do not relish having babies at Christmas so we will keep them apart until November. Next season we will keep a little buck and whether him so that he will have a companion.

We were told that his Grandpa was HUGE. This should be a very large buck...long and lean and hopefully, if he is true to his lineage will throw great udders!!



Here is his own personal house. He tends to eat the hay we put in it for bedding. I'll bet that will change when the cold weather hits. Come November he will get to experience the barn when he joins the ladies.

I think he will enjoy the barn much more! And the company!

And my final picture...just a typical buck...acting like.. well...just like a buck...

Isnt' he completely silly?

12 comments:

  1. Bucks are silly, but they are GROSS too. I have never seen anything as gross as a buck in rut. Other than that season, they can be very cute and affectionate. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to agree...they acquire some very nasty habits in season...isn't it weird that the does find that attactive? YUCK!

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so funny because I have actually considered putting some goats in my mini van. We do not have any goats yet and are wanting a couple of doelings. Unfortunately it is the wrong time of year to look for them. I am just now ready mentally. lol. This is our 2nd year at our homestead. The first year it was chickens(layers and meat) and we raised 2 hogs in the past 6 months. I just ordered our meat chickens and now I really want some dairy goats!! I sure didn't want to wait.

    He is cute...but I keep hearing these horrible things about bucks. We are just going to rent one when needed. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute new addition to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God does keep blessing you abundantly!

    Congrats on the new addition to your farm ~ I think Oreo is a great name (not terribly 'manly', though...) :-)

    animals are so much fun to watch (mostly)


    we've hauled goats in the back of our suburban, too. Use what ya got!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cheri

    I just hauled a piglet home in a minivan! Once we hauled a buck home from Vermont to NY in a station wagon. Long trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool blessing(though, stinky)!

    Are you and the boys keeping track of all the different ways (and things and animals) that God has provided (Providence Farm, hint, hint) in the past few months?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ya know, I'm thinking....where are the pics of placing the goat in the suburban? lol

    Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stephanie SeabrookJuly 28, 2008 at 11:23 PM

    Oops, meant boer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stephanie SeabrookJuly 28, 2008 at 11:23 PM

    Our children attended goat camp and there was a HUGE Boar doe in the back of the minivan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tracy,
    I keep a closed herd for health reasons so renting one was out...but the thought was inviting :)
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patrice,
    Thanks...we think so too!
    Cheri

    Tracy (in AR),
    I agree! Use what you got!
    Cheri

    Scott,
    If we decide to get pigs then I imagine we'll be doing the same thing you did!
    Blessings,
    Cheri
    PS Am praying for Leah!

    Cheri,
    We have been keeping track...and stand amazed!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails