Friday, August 29, 2008

Experiencing a "thorn"?

Then you need to read Elisabeth Elliot's short devotional for today!
Author: Elisabeth Elliot
Source: A Lamp For My Feet
Scripture Reference: Psalm 61:2 2 Corinthians 12:9 Mark 14:34-36

Immunity--No. Grace--Yes.

Someone asked last week, "When Jim died was your walk with the Lord close enough that His love and comfort and presence were sufficient at all times--or did grief and sorrow at times overtake and overwhelm you?"

My answer is yes to both questions. It is not an either-or matter. The psalmist, overwhelmed, prayed, "Lead me to the Rock that is higher than I" (Ps 61:2 AV).

Paul, plagued by a thorn, besought the Lord three times to remove it.

Jesus, "horror-stricken and desperately depressed," prayed "O My Father--if it be possible..." (Mk 14:34,36).

Of none of these--the psalmist, the apostle, the Lord--could it be said that his walk with God was not close enough. There was human suffering and divine sufficiency. This is the story of our life. The promise is "My grace is sufficient" (2 Cor 12:9 AV), not "My grace will abolish your thorns."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails