Friday, August 15, 2008

Love comes in many shapes...

I hated my door. I've hated it for 10 long years. You see, we actually live in a basement - it's a walk-out basement but it's still a basement. Whoever built this house chose to build this part and live in it while they finished the "ranch" part. They never did. My doors were old, heavy, sliding glass doors....with no lock.

Our "security" consisted of a board in the door and a battery powered alarm that would sound if someone opened it. To leave and "lock up" meant we put the board in place, went upstairs and out the door of the foyer (the ONLY room on the middle level!) and locked that with a key. Coming home meant the same thing in reverse.

The reason I hated my doors is that they were unsafe and falling apart. The track was slowly disintegrating which meant that they didn't slide well anymore. They were heavy (did I mention that?) and sometimes impossible to close. My Mom never did have the strength to open or shut them well. I struggled with them a lot.

When it rained (which hasn't been often enough!) they swelled...or something swelled....and they were even harder to close - heavier than usual....and they were really. heavy. doors.

But look at us now baby!

Love comes in many shapes

These beautiful, secure, easy to close, easy to lock, came with a peephole, came with deadbolts, gorgeous, make it look like a real home, even my Mom can use them doors, were a recent gift of love from new family who were worried about our safety and took steps to see that we were safe. Loved us enough to want us to be safe....loved us enough to want us to be able to open and close the door without pulling the muscles in our backs every day. Loved us.....just plain loved us....enough.....to care.

My Father in heaven used humans to be the hands and feet of Christ to minister to us, provide for us and love us. These doors may just look like doors to the people who will walk through them over the years but they will always be a tangible, touchable symbol, to me, of love. Love of family and love of Yahweh for us.... children of the Most High King!

Love came to us.....in the shape of doors.

8 comments:

  1. I had no idea you were a basement dweller, too! Guess we have quite a bit in common! What a blessing for you, and I rejoice at your blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord that people are still listening to God and reaching out to others. I love your new doors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new doors! What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't this one of the two "greatest commandments", as Jesus spoke of them? (1) to love the Lord your God, with all your strength, heart and mind..and (2) to love your neighbor as yourself? Sounds like you have been touched by one of His children, that understands - and LIVES - out both realities. God bless them! And God bless you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheri, What a beautiful story you have written. I pray it will touch many lives and that we can all see that gifts from God come in many forms. You and your boys are special.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheri,

    How wonderful! Those are beautiful doors, and obviously such a blessing!

    I seemed to recall that you canned ketchup from your tomatoes, and wondered if you would share that recipe (or, if there's somewhere online you might direct me)?

    We LOVE ketchup for some things, hate the corn syrup kind, and can't afford the organic stuff! I figured if my tomatoes ever start ripening...

    ReplyDelete
  7. EllaJac,
    I started with the recipe in the Ball Blue Book. I then changed the spices to fit our tastes and canned according to directions.

    Let me know if you need to me to copy that recipe here.

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails