Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Farmer and A Baker

As both a baker and a farmer (attempting to be one anyway!) this devotion really ministered to me in my current situation....Elisabeth Elliot, as usual, speaks so well...
Author: Elisabeth Elliot
Source: A Lamp For My Feet

Seed and Yeast

When we see things we believe need to be changed, most of us are impatient to see them done at once. The kingdom of God does not operate spectacularly, with a sudden rush of irresistible force, but rather like seed and yeast. These are small and wholly unimpressive and go to work only when buried. They need an appropriate medium in which to generate change, but the life-principle is there, latent but powerful, ready to begin the slow and marvelous process of transformation.

Our prayers for change--in people, in situations--are summed up in the old petition, "Thy kingdom come"--but when we ask for that, we are asking for what may seem an excruciatingly drawn-out business. We will need the patience of the farmer and the baker who, having done the one thing needful, then quietly (and with calm faith) wait for the thing to happen.

Father, help me to bury myself and seek Your transformation...help me to wait...quietly and calmly....with faith.  Help me to pray....Thy kingdom come....

8 comments:

  1. Hi, I read your blog and gave you an award. Hope others follow the link on my site to read you also. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen,
    Thanks so much for the honor!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always encouraged and inspired when I visit here.

    Blessings,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, the right words for the right time. Thank you.

    I've been away from your blog for a few days and you've gone and had a birthday. Happy belated, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lea,
    Thank you for the sweet words - you have encouraged my heart this week!
    Cheri

    Cheri (the other one!),
    I was just waiting for you to turn your back!
    Miss you,
    Cheri (this one)

    Sara,
    I thought so too! Elisabeth almost always touches my heart.
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cheri, I ventured onto your blog from Ann over at H.E. and love it! Tennesses is one of my favorite states, we've got relatives near Nashville and I have loved every minute spent there. I also love herbs and have used them for years, but not as much as I should.
    I homeschooled my two daughters and they are homeschooling their little ones.
    Blessings to you and yours...I also love Elisabeth Elliot.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Noreen!
    I'm so happy you took a side trip from Ann's to visit me :) I too love TN. It is so beautiful here - don't think I could ever live without mountains again!

    What a blessing to have passed homeschooling to another generation...I pray that my boys will do the same some day, if the Lord tarries...

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails