Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Book Review: Eat, Shrink and Be Merry!

I got an email weeks ago asking me if I'd be willing to review a book on my blog.  Although it surprised me (why me?), I was more than willing to and looked forward to getting the book.

Eat, Shrink & Be Merry! Great-Tasting Food That Won't Go from Your Lips to Your Hips!



I loved it! It was hard to get to the cooking part because I enjoyed the corny jokes so much!  It was written by two sisters (Janet & Greta Podleski) that I believe would be a blast to have a cup of tea with... I think you will enjoy it too - let me tell you what I liked about it...I'll just go cover to cover.

The cover is just what all cookbooks should have....it is easy to wipe clean.  I wish they were all this way. Often, during cooking, I've moved a cookbook to a different counter and accidentally laid it onto something I've spilled while cooking.  No worries here.

Great table of contents that lets you go right to what you need, although you will have to learn to talk their language.  These girls are really funny - here are some examples translations:  Appetizers?  You'll find those under "Hey, Hey...We're the Munchies!" Vegetarian Meal?  "Don't have a Cow, Man!" Dessert?  "A Sweet Carb Named Desire" You get the picture....if you are under 30 and bewildered - ask your Mama.

The page layout is great - each two page spread consists of  4 columns.  The outside two columns each contain a recipe while the inside columns consist of cooking tips, trivia, corny jokes (food related), exercise tips, cartoons, nutrition facts and more.  Although the recipes have silly names (Tuskinny Chicken) right under the name is an explanation (A hearty, one-pot Italian dinner that is sure to become a family favorite).



These are normal recipes that normal people like to cook...and to eat!  No need to run to the nearest exotic store (translate expensive!) and look for strange ingredients.  This is real food....food my boys like to eat! Food I like to eat!

At the bottom of each recipe it lists a "per serving" chart for calories, fat, saturated fat, protein, carbs, fiber, cholesterol and sodium.  The theme of the book is "low fat", but I watch my carb intake.  This chart makes it is easy for me to use.....and will make it easy for others to use who are concerned about cholesterol, their sodium intake and so on.  Sort of a cookbook for all.

Although I haven't read every recipe, I haven't found any use of artificial sweeteners (you know those are very bad for you right?) or pre-packaged junky food items.  How refreshing.  I have declined to purchase so many cookbooks whose recipes consist of open a can of this, a bottle of that, and a purchased mix.  That's not cooking...that's probably more like chemistry.  These recipes avoid caffeine, alcohol, refined foods, trans-fats and sugar...for the most part.  They see these as "anti-nutritional fiends".  How refreshing!

There is a great dessert section - yes dessert!  I think this is what I like the most - this book is about moderation.  It is not a "total deprivation" cookbook (I don't buy those either....I'm southern remember?!). There is a "Died-and-Gone-to-Heaven Chocolate Layer Cake" at the end of the book - I'll be baking that this week.  Jeremy and I have been on the pursuit for a wonderful chocolate cake recipe for about a year now. This one looks great!

There are metric conversion tables in the back for volume, weight and temperatures.  There is a comprehensive Index so that you can look up ingredients - great for finding a recipe so you can use up what is lurking in your pantry.

This is a fun book that I think will appeal to all.  The bright colors, the names that are a play on words, the funny facts, cartoons and corny jokes would probably make this the perfect cookbook for guys. Have a young man you are teaching to cook - this can make it fun.  Young people will enjoy the layout and us... ahem!...more mature types will get a kick out of the trivia and the play on words used so often. Those watching their weight (or fats, carbs, sodium, cholesterol etc.) will find this cookbook makes it easy and delicious to do so.

Anyone who loves good food will enjoy this book - the recipes I've tried have been delicious and I look forward to trying many more!

If you have this book, leave a comment and let me know if you like it.  If you have their other cookbooks let me know if they are as good as this one (I love cookbooks!).  If you'd like to purchase this book just click on the link at the top of the page to purchase.

This was so much fun to do that I will probably be doing other book reviews from time to time....and not just cookbooks.  We are all avid readers in this house...we have bookcases in almost every room. Perhaps, as I get through the stack on my nightstand, I'll share what I liked, or didn't like, about some of them.

Blessings!



UPDATE: I was just informed that you can get a two for one deal here.  Christmas is coming!

4 comments:

  1. I loved the play on words. I might have to find me a copy of the book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. speaking of books... I just noticed that you have Frank Turek's book listed! I own but have not read it just yet. He has come and spoke at my church several times and the "I don't have enough faith to be an Atheist" message is what got me to buy the book. :)

    so now that I have changed the subject... I'll revert back to cook books. There's not many cookbooks I don't like and this one sounds great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i don't know about this? sounds too good to be true, did i see chocolate on the cover?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay,
    The really cool thing is if you get chocolate on the cover, you can wipe it right off. My boys enjoy the goofy cartoons....definitely a unique book.
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails