Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Class - what fun!

I had SO much fun with this last class!  It was very full so space was tight as you can see.  I had students from Tennessee, Virginia and Florida!

[caption id="attachment_891" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="My students!"][/caption]

Everyone worked hard and we accomplished a lot...even though we traveled down a few rabbit trails!



We all took turns peeking at the olive oil to make sure it was ready to make a maceration....



Passing the herbal cheese and crackers....about half-way through the afternoon we needed a snack!



Here we are getting ready to make a poultice...the herbs are ready!

[caption id="attachment_896" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Listening attentively!"][/caption]



Learning the fine art of folding a poultice.

Every time I teach a class, I try to find some aspect to improve.  Up until now, I only demonstrated making a tincture.  This time I  had several herbs available so that my students could choose one that would benefit them and make their own tinctures to take home.  After spending a few minutes preparing the herbs that they chose, they passed around the vodka to fill their tincture bottles.  Labels, dates and they were good to go!



In addition to the tinctures the students made and took home, they also made Chamomile tea (and drank it!), Lavender Lemonade (drank that too!), Horehound cough syrup (each student took home a jar) and Lavender salve (everyone took home a tin).  Although they worked hard and listened attentively, there was also lots of laughter and fun.  I heard some great stories and got to tell a few tales on myself.

I found out that one of my students, Aggie, and I attended the same high school for two years.  We didn't know each other back then but what a small world we live in.  I really enjoyed meeting her and look forward to a deeper friendship if they end up settling here.  This is the one of the benefits I see with my classes, I get to know my students, end up corresponding with a great many of them and have developed some really close friends!  Of course, I'd like each and every one of you to move here!

After the class, I called the boys and they began breaking down the tables, putting chairs away and cleaning up.  My two Florida students, who willingly submitted themselves to be guinea pigs for my Bed and Breakfast experiment, pitched right in cleaning up and doing dishes. Julie worked up my bread dough to make dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls for breakfast while I whipped up a Pineapple Coconut Chicken Salad.  In the meantime, Elijah took Kay and Pam (our guinea pigs) on a tour of the farm.  Knowing Elijah and how thorough he is, I shudder to think of all that they were exposed to.  I believe they sampled some apples from the trees, a few figs and actually took a tour of the shop where the boys are incubating eggs.  Here on Stonewater Farm, Elijah leaves no stone unturned....if you come for a visit and ask for a tour you better bring your walking shoes!

I had asked Pam and Kay to share supper with us and Julie stayed to do the same.  We had a long leisurely meal while we got to know each other better.  Julie brought her famous Apple Cake...YUMMY!  Pam and Kay were a bundle of fun.  They have sweet spirits and wonderful testimonies.  How delightful to get to know these sisters in Christ.  Believe it or not, they came armed with gifts for Julie and I....wonderful, huge jars of orange blossom honey from Florida!  My favorite honey!!!

After the meal, they helped clean up just like family!  We got them settled in the "Cardinal Room" (my that sounds official!) but we really weren't ready to stop visiting.



Although Julie needed to head home, the three of us ended up in my personal sitting room and visiting for another few hours...what sweet fellowship!

Next morning, we had a lovely breakfast.  They asked for something light, so there was home churned butter for the fresh baked banana bread along with cinnamon rolls, hot tea and orange juice.  Again we got to visit, share and pray together.  They have really spoiled me.  I loved the B&B experience with them but realisticly I know that it won't always be this much fun.  Although I will always enjoy having guests in my home....this was more like having your best friends come for a visit.  Yup!  I'm spoiled.

[caption id="attachment_900" align="alignnone" width="300" caption="Pam & Kay"][/caption]

Pam and Kay! I miss y'all already.  I want to thank you both for your encouragement and the blessing you both were to me....y'all come back now...y'hear?

Now, it's time for me to scoot...I'm terribly behind on email and comments - if you are waiting to hear from me, I'll do my best over the next couple of days to get caught up.

Blessings!

15 comments:

  1. Please oh please oh please do it again! I wanted to come this time but it didn't work out. It sounds just wonderful! I hope you'll do a class again soon.

    Tracy in NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like everyone had a blast! :)
    so I didn't really know what a poultice was, and I definitely didn't know what a tincture was. I looked them up on Wikipedia... now I know :) its neat all the things you can make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I wish we could have stayed around so I could have come. I am glad it worked well for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy,
    I am planning on doing this on a regular basis. If there is enough interest, I may do another in November!.
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    Amanda,
    Wish you could have been here :)
    Love,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marci,
    Wouldn't that have been a ton of fun? I'll be giving you a call soon :)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheri,
    I had such a GREAT time...I learned so many things and I am really trying to add these into our daily lives. I have not been able to make anything that we have learned from the class yet(as I do not have a herbal garden but will be working towards having one)...but I have not used my microwave:) since then. Thank you so much for allowing me to come and learn from you. I thank God for the people he has put all around me. With having a new baby:) I know I will continue to learn much more. Thanks again.
    Love,
    Barbara Clendenon

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was an awesome event! I'd love to attend others in the future! There was mention of a meal planning class that I'm also greatly interested in, as well as soap making.

    My 17 month old has a pretty healthy case of eczema and if the calendula salve will help I will be so excited cause now I have the ability to make it myself...once I get some calendula plants ;-)

    Thank you Cheri for inviting us all into your home!

    Oh, and the Rose Geranium Soap...WOW!!! Fabulous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Barbara,
    Take one thing at a time..master it and then move on. Yeah for no microwave...it makes lovely garage sale fodder :) You can always order dried herbs to work with and I'll have lots of plants in the spring...let me know what you want.

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rebecca,
    It was so much fun meeting you :) I'm working hard on the meal planning class - hope to have it finished soon! Soapmaking will be next.

    Isn't the Rose wonderful!?! I love it too!

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooohhhh! I wish my daughter and I could have taken that class! What great information you gave out! Wow!

    And, it sure seems like ya'll had a big ol' pajama party! LOL

    Glad it was a fun experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharri,

    It would be so fun to have you both! Perhaps the two of you and Marci could take a field trip together :) (No ulterior motive on my part!)

    No pajamas but definitely a lot of fun!

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a lot of fun! Your farm sounds like a heavenly bed and breakfast! You inspire me to want to learn more and try new things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Sara! That is one of the nicest things you could have said to me :)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cheri, I had soooo much fun and learned quite a bit! What a blessing to meet you and your family. You are expressing the Proverbs 31 woman in a wonderful way. May our Good Lord bless your efforts. Thank you for your hospitality and generous sharing of your knowledge. Have a blessed week.

    Aggie
    Micah 6:8

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aggie,
    It was wonderful to meet you. I am praying you will be back in this area soon :) Thank you for your kind words....I'm blessed.
    In Him,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails