Friday, October 17, 2008

The Last of the Basil

We've been busy these last few weeks finishing up the garden and putting it to bed.  I'll post later about how our garden fared this year but today I wanted to talk about basil.  We use a lot of basil.  I put it in the spaghetti sauce that I make, use it to make basil oil, tincture it and I also add it to many of the salad dressings that I make.  The most popular one is a creamy Basil Dressing.  It is wonderful!  I got the idea from a recipe given to me by a good friend.  Of course, I had to tweak it a bit.  If you've read here long you know I love to tweak recipes!  Basil oil is a wonderful base for salad dressing and is easy to make....and of course there is always pesto!

My goal was to gather the last of the basil and save it for winter use while at the same time saving seeds to use next year.  I thought I'd share with you how to do that.  Today I will teach you how to freeze it for use over the winter and tomorrow I will talk about saving seeds. You should never need to buy basil seed again!

I started by cutting all the basil that remained in the garden.  I sat outside under a tree and cut the seed pods from the plants.

Seed pods on basil plant

As we gathered the plants we laid them across our hammock for air circulation.  This was because we had so many and I didn't want to stack them and end up with a wilted mess and bruised leaves by the time I got to the bottom of the pile.  The hammock provides a nice outside "table" with great air circulation. This picture is the top of a basil plant.  You can see the brown seed pods.

I separated the seed pods from the plants and set them aside. Then I began stripping basil leaves into bowls.  I pull at the stem so I don't bruise the leaves.  You want to handle the leaves as little as possible.  The more they bruise the more essential oil you loose from the leaf and then you also loose flavor and medicinal value (yes! basil has medicinal value!).

I ended up with a lot of basil.  I filled these bowls several times.



Then I very gently washed them in a sink of cool water and laid them on towels to drip dry.  I wash mainly to get rid of the spittle bugs. They dry very quickly.  Again...handle very gently!  I was pleased with the amount we got from the last harvest of the season!



I take the basil and gently pack two cups into freezer bags.  I hate to use plastic (and avoid it most of the time) but I haven't found a work around for this....yet!  I need two cups for each batch of dressing so this makes it easy throughout the winter!  I need enough to get through till April when I will once again have a lot of basil in my greenhouse.  These bags will join the others I have harvested throughout the summer in the "herb" basket of our freezer.



I then take some of the basil and tincture it for medicinal purposes.  Did you know that basil is listed as being beneficial for fevers, colds, flu's, tummy cramps, vomiting, indigestion, and for increasing the milk of nursing mothers?  I keep a tincture on hand at all times.

Basil oil is a wonderful base for salad dressing (as is basil vinegar!) and is easy to make....and of course there is always pesto!  You can also dry basil for culinary purposes.

I encourage you, if you haven't already, to gather the last of your basil and save it for winter use before the first frost.

Join me for my next post on saving basil seeds!

7 comments:

  1. What a wonderful harvest! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted this today....gotta pick mine this afternoon in anticipation of a possible frost tonight. I have a great pesto recipe and already have a good bit frozen, but if you are of a mind to share that salad dressing recipe or direct me to it online, I'd be most appreciative!

    Also, do you ever blanch it before you process it? I was given that tip this summer and the pesto stays beautifully green even after being exposed to air.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME!! Can you let us know how you make your tinctures? I have been looking for unique ways to use my basil, oregano, and french tarragon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robbyn,
    Thanks so much!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    MrsBurns,
    Yummy pesto! I haven't heard of blanching herbs before - do you think you loose much flavor in the process? The recipe...am thinking I will include it in an e-book I am about to release on Menu-Planning so, if you don't mind, I think I'd better not post it just yet :)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob,
    If you do a search on tinctures here on my blog, you will find detailed instructions on how to do this....it is also taught in my Medicinal Herb Course found at www.sweethollowfarm.com.

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cheri:
    We did not notice any loss of flavor when I blanched the basil. I did lose the "clean" appearance of one red/white kitchen towel; it is forever stained brownish green from spreading the hot wet leaves out to dry. Oh well. It's the basil blanching towel now!

    With pesto, since there are other strong flavors competing with the basil, the blanch might not make as much difference in the overall flavor. In something like your dressing, where it is the star that shines, you might not agree. But the color is fabulous! Just as green as when you picked it. No oxidation at all.

    Thanks for the seed saving tutorial. I collected okra pods yesterday and have plenty of seed to share. Do you need some? I'll be saving some of my basil seed, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MrsBurns,
    I'll remember to try the blanching. I have not had trouble with my basil turning in the freezer although I know many people who have...not sure why mine stays green!

    I'd love to have some okra seeds! I did not grow okra this year and am not sure how long okra seeds are viable...if mine from the previous year will do....

    Thank you for your generous offer :)

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails