Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The truth

In the last 10 years, church life for us has been a struggle.  Not that we didn't love the pastors, or the people. It was the traditions that I was having trouble with.  Traditions that I couldn't find in the Word.  As I teach my boys, the Word must be our "plumb line".  If it doesn't measure up to the Word, then we toss it.  This goes for movies, books, habits, choices...and even churches.  I saw way too much money going for buildings, salaries, programs while I knew there were members hurting, hungry and in need of help.  What about the plumb line? How was it being justified?  I saw women in leadership, with young children, overwhelmed at their responsibilities...and the pressure was on that the "business of the church" was the most important. What happened to the teachings in Titus?  I saw people sitting in "pews" who were living lives that blatantly contradicted the Word...blatantly! Yet, they were given leadership roles.  I saw youth groups that exposed my children to the very things I was trying to protect them from by homeschooling because they wanted to "reach out" to the unsaved youth of the community....without requiring them to change. Did you know that 75 years ago youth groups were open only to the youth of the church?  Oh, they reached out to the unsaved but the weekly meetings focused on discipling the youth of the church.... and helping them to grow in their relationship with our Father.  It just didn't add up.

When I ventured to ask about some of these things I heard excuses such as "lifestyle choices", "can't pry into their business", "need to cover church expenses so we can keep operating", "programs are important", and so on and so on ad nauseum.  What I saw was that the American church "system" (for the most part) is built upon the traditions of men....and doesn't look at all like the description of a New Testament church.  Please don't take this to mean that I think all churches are bad...I know that there are many wonderful churches doing things the right way....I just couldn't seem to find one.  Everywhere we went it was "business" as usual.  I really mean that....the church system in America had turned into a business.  Follow x.y.z pattern and you should get a.b.c. results.  No wonder the world sees nothing different about us anymore.  We have collectively reduced our Father to a heavenly vending machine!

In the last 10 years, I have come to believe that the "Christianity" being practiced by the American Church is not at all what Jesus taught or modeled.  It was a long and painful process to get to that belief.  I held onto my Christian traditions tightly....but they just didn't measure up to the plumb line.  That may offend you but I can't find the picture of the typical American church system anywhere in the Word of God.  I am sure that my opinion will not be a popular one.  That's ok.

At the same time I have been going through the above, I have had this question burning in my heart because of the Thalassemia..."who am I" ?  Where did I come from?  Who are my people?  I didn't lie awake at nights because of this but I pondered it often.  I felt that my Father was wooing me down a path but I really didn't know where we were going.  Again,  a matter of trust. So we have been reading, learning about what church was supposed to be like, studying feasts and festivals and digging into the Word as a family...searching for His truths.

I was on the phone with my brother one day and told him we were thinking about trying to celebrate Shabbat.  We wanted to try that....sounded like heaven to me...great food, lots of family time and no work....lest you misunderstood that readers I said NO WORK.  What's not to like about that?  (By the way, it was a wonderful celebration!). My brother was asking me why (think about it...why would a woman who has been a Christian for 30 years be interested in celebrating a Jewish holiday!).  I explained my theory to him.  I told him that I thought there was a good chance that we were German Jews...I went through the whole story about our ancestry and the Thalassemia and the history of the settlement of Prussia, what I found in searching records from the Holocaust.  I also told him about the DNA testing that I fully planned to do someday when I had money to spend.

Mark was very interested.  He asked for more information and links.  He did his own reading and called me back to tell me he had ordered the DNA testing kit!!  Woo Hoo!  I was really excited.  He kept me informed when he got it, what he had to do and when he sent it off.  Then he gave me the links and passwords so that I would be able to look for the results when they were posted on the website.  I checked everyday.  EVERYDAY....for weeks!

And then they came!  As I read, my heart began to pound....I began to understand....my theory proved to be true!  I am Jewish....not only that but they can actually tell you what tribe and who your oldest known relative was (don't ask me how....but they do...and they explain it to you but it's very technical DNA jargon).

Our oldest known relative was Aaron, brother of Moses.   If I was to introduce myself to you as a Jew, I would tell you that my name is Chaviva bat Avshalom, daughter of the tribe of Levi, child of Yahweh, the most high God.

I felt like I had come "home".  I am, however, still trying to understand "home".  I have an entire heritage, a history of a people, customs and more that I am ignorant of....it will be a steep learning curve.  I feel like a toddler in a grown up body suddenly enrolled at college....what a lot to learn and I am way behind. Oh, how I would love to spend time with Messianic Jews, to glean, to learn more quickly...to understand.

The boys and I are continuing our Torah study, studying the holidays and trying to learn more.  Lest you worry, I have not fallen into the sector of the Hebraic roots movement that places people back under the Old Testament Law.  Jesus is the only way to our Father and He paid it all, took all our sins upon Himself on the cross at Calvary.  No one comes to the Father except through Him.  He is our righteousness.  It is a gift from the Father, not of works, so that none of us can boast.

However, I have studied enough in the last 6 to 8 months to know that there is a flavor and richness that is missing from our faith if we do not understand our Hebrew roots.  We have just cracked the door to understanding and the taste is sweet as honey.  We crave more.  It is a long way to the nearest Messianic assembly so we will have to content ourselves with our online studies and pray that our Father will place Messianic Jews in our path that can share with us...teach us some of the Jewish customs and their meanings.  Until then, we muddle through as best we can.

We would love to hear recommendations of books, links to websites or any other information that you, my dear readers, can share if you are further down this path than we are.  I've added a new category to my sidebar, Jewish Roots.  I am sure I will blog on this from time to time as we learn more so it is best to have a place to file the posts for those of you who are interested.

Oh, and one more blessing...at the same time we were going through all of this, our Father saw fit to direct our paths to a new church....whose goal is to operate exactly how the Word says a group of believers should operate.  It has been an exciting journey and our Father has been gracious and merciful to us.  That will have to be another post in the future.

L’Shana Tovah!

30 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about the modern church. We started on a similar journey to the one you describe for all the same reasons. FINALLY, after about five years in the wilderness we have found a church that holds the Bible dear without marketing programs and schemes to woo 'seekers'. I, too, feel like we have finally come 'home'!

    Congratulations on discovering a clue to your heritage! I look forward to hearing more about what you're learning!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I agree with you about the modern church. We are missionaries in Guatemala and the difference between churches here and back home is staggering. It's humbling to me to see what God can do when we give Him room!

    I've been interested in reading about your journey into your heritage. We've recently found out that my husband has German-Jewish roots as well. We've already been celebrating Passover and Hannukah, and I am starting to research other things about our heritage to teach our children.

    Blessings to you!
    Dayle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew it! I knew it!
    I figured after, I think your second post you might be Jewish.
    I couldn't wait to find out for sure.
    I am so excited for you.
    I told my boys and they were excited too and wanted me to check and see if we are Jewish.

    I think they want to be Jewish since we have been studying the same as you.

    It is a long road of learning.
    Many times it has been lonely.
    We found a small fellowship about a year and a half ago that remind me of the church in Acts.
    It has been so nice.

    I could go on but I think I will e-mail you at this point so I don't take up anymore room. I have rambled enough.

    Again I am so excited.
    Blessings,
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh told me not too long ago that he had Jewish heritage so I kind knew where this was going. But your blogs were exciting to read! You're such a good writer! I think you should write books. yes bookS not just one but many :)
    I'd read them.

    much love!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! Great discovery! So much I could say, most I'll save for the right time and place. I have 2 good friends who have both celebrated Shabbat for years, though we have only done this a couple of times. One is also a part of a Messianic church. We have a new book published at church that has just been written by a Orthodox Jewish Rabbi (Messianic undercover) who is so knowledgeable on all things Hebrew and how it relates to Christ. Just hearing him speak for 5 mins. on the feasts gave me keys, I had been missing in my personal studies.I haven't read it yet, I think the girls have an extra copy. I'll send it. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my dearest friends attends a Messianic (sp?) church in Corpus Christi. I believe she helped start the fellowship there although she is a gentile who chooses to worship in the Jewish tradition. Some others are Jews who have accepted Christ.

    If you are interested, e-mail me and I'll forward your e-mail to her. She has lots and lots of great information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's also a recent book, Pagan Christianity, which talks about many aspects of "normal" American Evangelical churches and their historical development. George Barna, I believe, wrote the foreword to the 2nd edition of the book.

    I read only part of the book before its due date came up...quite informative and helpful for those who may want to find/form a house church.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am so excited and happy for you. This was great news. And you fooled me as I had no idea that you would say that the DNA test was run. My dad researched his geneology but was never able to go to far into my mom's family from Poland(Austria back then). I joked with her one day thinking she would say "no way are we Jewish" since she has a catholic faith background. Instead she said "well, you never know, maybe." Who knows, maybe I will find out someday if I can get the records. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought that might be where this was going! How exciting that they could even pinpoint what line tribe and line. There is a Messianic church about a half mile from me and I have been wanting to go, but something always comes up. I have had a Bible study on studying Jesus in the feasts for about 20 years too and haven't done it... maybe I need to dust it off of the shelf!

    I so appreciate your thoughts on church. That is what my husband and I have been feeling and have been frustrated about too.

    I'm looking forward to hearing more of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheri,
    Such an exciting read here! Hey, I'm with you on the sorry state of the church in America. We are searching, in vain, for a place that fits us. And we live in the Denver metropolitan area! You would think you could find something better than "barely tolerable"!

    In the spirit of Yom Kippur, "Lord, forgive us for cheapening our worship of You!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cheri, that is so awesome that they can trace back like that through DNA. I have often heard that through my Mom's Maternal Grandma that we might be German Jew as well.

    I am also glad that you found a church that wants to be "The Church". They are sorely lacking in this land.

    Last of all, it was SO GOOD to hug your neck. I loved your reaction. You are very, very special!!! Wish I could have met all your boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a refreshing post to read. Your persective of the modern day church is right on....many are not living biblically. I too have seen many churches that are feeding people what the world give and we are blessed to have moved to a community of believers that are doing their best to live biblically and as the church intended...no Sunday school but worshipping together as well as homeschooling families and moms at home. Continue on to press into Him who is worthy of all praise and glory.
    Noreen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I'm sort of new to your site (linked through lentils & Rice I think). Just wanted to say - welcome to the family! :) We are (for lack of better word - Messianic Believers) not Jewish to my knowledge, but there are 12 other tribes you know? :) Here's my book recommendation for you "Who Is Israel? And Why You Need To Know" By Bayta Wooten. You can find it on Amazon. Personally, I do believe the whole bible is for today, that the Torah was not done away with - however, please understand - it is not our salvation, only the way we love and obey our Father. Hope that makes sense. (Feel free to email me if it doesn't) I had a hunch, months back when I first visited your site. Just wish I could give you a big hug and a smile - I'm overjoyed that another heart has been opened to His truth. Read Hosea. Shalom - a sister in Messiah ~Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Do you know these people?

    http://www.hayovel.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much for sharing your story - not just the interesting family history, but the spiritual journey as well. It both breaks my heart (for how far we've strayed) and encourages my spirit (to know we're not alone in our frustrations) to hear your description of typical American churches.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hallelujah!!....you are not alone in this path!! Thanks for sharing...it is the timing of the ALmighty bringing us to this knowledge of our lineage...HE is going to regather us...HE knows WHO we are too!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. PS....I will be happy to share the websites of those we have learned so much from in our journey the last few years...will send soon, as I can find the time!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is interesting that you found out about your Jewish roots. My husband and I have been involved in Messianic Jewish circles for the last 22 years. We presently live in a Messianic Jewish community in the country of Cyprus. We are in the midst of the High Holy Days. I pray that you will find the material you need to learn all about your Jewishness and how to celebrate that in the context of your faith in Messiah Jesus (Yeshua). It will be a delightful journey for you. We are looking to buy some land in Missouri soon to eventually pursue our agrarian leadings. May the Almighty bless you and your family as your discover who you are and what that means.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lady Why,
    Isn't it odd that it takes SO long to find what ought to be on every corner? Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier to find in other countries where "Christians" don't have it so easy.
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    Dayle,
    Thanks you for serving! I imagine that you see a much stronger version of Christianity than we do! I heard a missionary say recently that many of the people at that talk would have been quesitoned in his church overseas about their "Christianity" simply because of how they were dressed (immodestly!)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    Melanie,
    Please email me!
    Cheri

    Amanda,
    Aw,shucks....you're making me blush!
    Love,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carolyn,
    Thanks so much! Can't wait to read it!
    Cheri

    Brenda,
    I'll be emailing!
    cheri

    Diane,
    I'll be looking for that book - sounds intriguing!
    Thanks so much,
    Cheri

    Abiga/karen,
    I hope that you have opportunity to find the truth :)
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  21. Theresa,
    Go, go, go! I'm sure you'll enjoy the experience! Dust off that book - you'll be amazed at how it brings new insight to the Word!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    Deb,
    It is amazing to me that all over the country people are frustrated with the local church...and I thought it was just me!
    Cheri

    Marci,
    What a stinker you and Sue are! It was great to meet you in person finally....now I want you to come back for a real visit :)
    Cheri

    Noreen,
    What a blessing for you! And, from what I am hearing, what, sadly, an unusual experience!
    Enjoy!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kendra,
    Thanks! I'll be looking for that book also. I'll put Hosea on my study list.
    Shalom,
    Cheri

    Geneva,
    Although I have heard of the Wallers, I do not know them personally.
    Cheri

    Sara,
    I have also been encouraged by these comments. But saddened to know that my experience is a common one,
    Cheri

    Elizabeth,
    I am really looking forward to the links you'll be sending...so hungry here!
    Cheri

    Aimee,
    Thank you for writing. May Yahweh direct your steps as you relocate to the US.
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is so good to read that there ARE others who clearly see the desecration of the modern church. My heart has been heavy for some time about this subject and our family is still searching for a place to worship in spirit and truth.

    Blessings,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Cheri, Here is one link that is a man we began listening to a few years ago. He is interesting and you always learn something. His name is Monte Judah. His site is: www.lionlamb.net . You have to sign up on his site and then every Friday evening you can listen to his service live...even video if your computer is fast enough. (There is no service this week because they are away doing Sukkot.) We are in NC, so we tune in around 8:30 PM. He has a wonderful free monthly magazine...and you can read it online as well...I recommend signing up to get it via mail too. Scroll down the right side of his homepage, it is called Yavoh. He also has some WONDERFUL camps...one even for the youth each year. They even have scholarships for those who need help to get there. He has a great gathering yearly for Sukkot in Oklahoma where he lives...which we have never been able to go to, but we have heard that many just LOVE going. He has wonderful teaching materials, as well as you can listen to live other broadcasts from previous too. Also, there is another website that has MANY different teachers...we have listened to them all and learned much. You will find you will have a hard time finding time to listen, more than difficulty finding ones to listen to. That website is: www.waytozion.org and look in the little top area to find the teachings area. Then if you are interested in getting on what is called Paltalk, there are other opportunities to both listen, discuss and chat with others on this path. Feel free to email me...I think you have that.
    Shalom, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  25. Elizabeth,
    Thank you, thank you! I plan on making a lot of soap this weekend and will have my computer handy to listen to these resources. I'll be in touch...
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  26. Leah,
    I have been overwhelmed at the response both in comments and in email - I had no idea so many people were feeling/seeing the same thing I have been. I'll have to post about our little fellowship.
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  27. What an interesting and timely post :) I have deep heart ties in the church, having been raised in it and served in it for many years. I love the scriptures, and YHVH. I, too, am Jewish, and I believe anyone is Jewish who keeps the Torah. This is an entirely different concept than what I formerly believed, but the beauty of Psalm 119 in every verse talks about how life-giving and eternal the Torah is, unlike the present misunderstanding among many christians who have been taught by theologians that it is dead or a bondage/curse. When we started keeping shabbat, oh the joy!! What I had theoretically assumed would be such a burden turned out to be nothing but a blessing, adn that goes for the holy days and every one of the other instructions of wisdom I found in the Covenant. I'm so delighted for you in your journey that you've discovered the happiness He brings through loving the scriptures so much more than the constructs of traditions that try to minimize it. The simplicity of His instruction will never mislead those who are intent on living uprightly...mazel tov :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Cheri,
    I think I could have written most of this post myself. We have been on the journey to find our Hebrew roots for a couple of years now. We left the church we had attended for more than 20 years-I was saved in that church, we were married there, all four of our living children were dedicated there, and our 2 oldest were practically raised there. It wasn't easy to leave, but we couldn't keep ignoring what was going on and were completely disatisfied with the teaching as well.
    For us, the straw that broke the camel's back was the whole youth issue. We had not wanted our children to participate in the youth group (for all of the reasons you've pointed out and then some)but when they discovered that our oldest daughter was not going to be coming, they pushed and pressured us until we gave in. Our daughter rebelled and is still reaping the consequences-eventhough she has now returned to us and acknowledges the wisdom of what we had taught.
    We didn't want to see our son or our younger daughters follow in their sister's footsteps, so we finally left and began attending a home fellowship of Torah observant Christians. We enjoyed that a lot but are not attending anymore right now. Mainly because they run very late into the night with their studying and our two youngest girls are used to being in bed by 9pm.
    We still celebrate Shabbat and this year will be our first time to celebrate Hanukkah.
    I will be watching for more posts about what you are learning on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I greatly appreciate your sharing concerning "
    american churchianity". I grew up on the mission field as the son of missionaries in the 50's and 60's. I have been involved in church all of my life (almost), including Bible college, home-missions pastoring, and christian youth camp work. We travel 25mi. one way to attend the best church we can find in our area, but are still grieved by much that is taught and that goes on. There seems so little of the "simplicity of Christ" as depicted in assembly life described in the N.T.
    I do not Know if I am geniticly Hebrew or not but by Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, who died and rose from the dead and is soon coming for me, I(and all who look for Him) am spiritually re-born into the family of Abraham, who by the same Faith became a son of God and according to the Covenant of God, the father of all them who share that faith.
    The Bible teaches that N.T. non-Jewish believes are grafted into the olive tree that is true Israel, whose root and nourishment is Jehovah/Messiah, or Jesus Christ. Thus the Torah and the prophets, indeed the whole O.T. bear witness to Him Who is our Saviour. The N.T. is key to understanding the O.T.and our Lord Jesus is key to the whole. The, institutional Church, it seems, has lost sight of these simple realities and as a result descended into functioning as a business run on modern business principles.
    As to suggested books: anything by Watchman Nee, J.N.Darby, Saltau on the Tabernacle and its furnishings, the priesthood and sacrifices
    This is longer than I intended, but we greatly identify with your feelings of frustration. The fact that so many are feeling much the same seems an indication
    we are living in the closing times of the Church as an institution, and the soon return of Christ to gather His own.

    Blessings in Him Who loves us. TVP













    n.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi, Cheri,

    I am wondering if you are still practicing and studying the Jewish tenants of Christianity and if you might have a list of resources for those of us who are just beginning our own studies. I am in complete agreeance with your take on American churches. My boys and I are struggling to find a biblically grounded church-without bells and whistles of videos and big screens!

    Blessings to you and your family.


    Shalom,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails