Sunday, November 30, 2008

Impressed...

Have you ever been impressed with your child?  Sort of taken by surprise?

This happened to me recently.  When Jeremy was younger he desperately wanted drums.  He was drumming on everything (he still is!).  Have you ever looked into the price of a set of drums?  Yikes!  Do you invest that amount of money in a 12 year old not knowing if this will last a month, a year, a life?

Instead, I took him to a huge city that had a huge music store.  We found a little electronic box type thing with round circles on the top....a very small electronic drum box.  It had a headphone jack....something they told me would prevent me from hearing the incessant pounding drumming.

It looked something like this:



He practiced....a lot.  Everyday.   all.the.time.   Do not believe them when they tell you that if they have a headphone jack then you won't hear it...they lie!  I NEVER had to tell Jeremy to practice (you think I'd actually ask him to go make LOUD, repetitive noise for long periods of time on purpose?)  He practiced faithfully.  I endured.  Have I ever mentioned that loud repetitive noise gives me an instant headache?  Oh, did I mention that the child COULD NOT HOLD A BEAT?????

Jeremy literally wore this machine out over the years.  He began to keep a beat.  He never took a lesson. There was never money for music lessons.  He watched those who did a better job, listened to those who did a better job and he emulated those who did a better job.  (I think there is a life lesson there!) He realized that his little set was wearing out and he began saving for a "real" drum set.  He sought counsel from a young man at church who had given Jeremy some tips.  This young man helped Jeremy to find an inexpensive set that wasn't just junk.  He then surprised Jeremy by helping him to buy that set. They were bright pink...Jeremy loved them and has used them faithfully for years.  He has just about worn these out too.  He has improved...he's good.....very good.

Along the way he learned to play the djembe (pronounced jim-bay). They look like this:



When we began attending our fellowship, they purchased one of these so that Jeremy could participate in worship.  They told Jeremy to take it home and practice.  He was THRILLED!  I had no idea how he learned to play this....he just did it....and he did it well.

About 2 months ago, we were hanging around after a home group meeting and enjoying fellowship. The teenagers who had led worship that night began to pick up their instruments and worship together...people began to drift back into the room and join in.  It was sweet!  Our Elder disappeared to the basement and came back with guitars...which he handed out.  He leaned over and told Jeremy that he had some Congas in the basement.  Jeremy thanked him but told him that he didn't know how to play the Congas.  The elder waited a bit and then grabbed Jeremy, took him to the basement and brought up the Congas.  They look like this:



As a concerned Mom, worried about my child being horribly embarrassed in front of a large group of people, I held my breath and thought "this isn't good".  Good thing my Elder is smarter than me.  Jeremy began to play.....well.  How can you take an instrument you have never touched and play it well?  Again, our Elder sent them home with us so that Jeremy could practice.

And he does...all of them...diligently....and wait till I tell you how our Father has blessed his diligence and his perseverance for these last 6 years....stay tuned....

Blessings,

2 comments:

  1. I cannot help but wonder if you have ever considered where your dear son may be learning the virtue of diligence?

    Could it be that he is emulating the virtue which he sees in his dear mother?

    Just wondering :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rebecca! I don't even know what to say...
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails