Saturday, November 15, 2008

We don't eat almonds anymore

Hhhhmmm...sounds like a song doesn't it?   But it is true. We don't eat almonds anymore...not even organic ones.  This is why:
Organic group battles back against nutty almond regulation

Dear Friend,

Last fall I told you about the government-mandated ruling that turned almonds from a nutrient dense power food into a nutrition-less dud. That's right, after a whopping TWO people were sickened by Salmonella linked to raw almonds, the USDA decided enough was enough. As of September 1, 2007, all almonds are now pasteurized.

Does something seem wrong with this picture to you? Two cases of Salmonella, and suddenly this government agency is all over almonds like hair on a gorilla. When have they ever been on the ball with anything?

Then, to make matters worse, the FDA decided that the pasteurized almonds could be labeled as raw. Do the officials there need to take a nutrition class? Anything that's pasteurized is NOT raw!

But here's some good news: finally, there's an organization that's fighting against the FDA's mandatory almond pasteurization. The Cornucopia Institute is pressing both the USDA and the Almond Board of California (ABC) to produce documents to prove that there is science to back up the almond pasteurization law. They've even filed a Freedom of Information Act request seeking the documents.

The Cornucopia Institute is a pro-organic organization that promotes, according to its website, "economic justice for family-scale farming." They're arguing – correctly – that the government's pasteurization process involves a toxic fumigant or treatment with high temperatures, which, of course, affects the nutritional content of the nut.

The USDA easily got the Almond Board of California, which represents the massive, commercial almond producers, to fall into line with the process. Now all of your almonds are either cooked or sprayed with the poison propylene oxide (PPO) to kill salmonella and other bacteria.

As always, it's the smaller farms and dairies that have the least resources to sustain operations in the face of expensive, government mandated processes. "Big Almond" (just like "Big Dairy") is sitting on piles of cash, so they can just shrug and pass the cost of these unnecessary production steps onto the consumer. For organic farms, these mandates are often a death sentence. The result is a de facto government elimination of organic foods as a viable food choice for consumers.

The Cornucopia Institute is fighting the good fight and fighting it hard. They've also filed a lawsuit on behalf of California almond farmers and raw almond wholesalers that not only claims economic damage from the federal regulation, but also contends that the USDA lacks the authority to enforce such a law.

Meanwhile, the ABC has stuck to the USDA party line, assuring that "extensive research" was conducted that proves the effectiveness and safety of the PPO process. But here's the kicker – the ABC has steadfastly refused to make the results of these or any other tests public.

I'm not surprised the ABC's members don't want to rock the boat. After all, they're making money hand over fist. Last year, the California Almond industry harvested a staggering $1.4 billion profit.

I'll keep my eye on this one and let you know what happens next. Stay tuned.

William Campbell Douglass II, M.D.

To start receiving your own copy of the Daily Dose, visit:
http://www.douglassreport.com/dailydose/freecopy.html

I guess we will be planting some Almond trees and some Hazelnut.  We have lots of Black Walnut trees...not my favorite nut unfortunately.

And we have a beautiful Pecan tree.  It needs a pollinator so that is on the list too.  However, for some reason, we have actually had a good crop this year!  It happens once in awhile.  My Mom shelled these last night...we've already eaten quite a bit and baked with them.



We are nowhere near done...as you can see!



And the tree is still loaded!  We've been having a lot of wind and a little rain for the last few days.  After a couple of days of sunshine we will walk the yard again and pick pecans.  If you happen to visit us next week, I can guarantee we will ask you to join our walk and hand you a bucket!

They are delicious!  I am looking forward to pecan pie made with our own organic, non irradiated, non-pasteurized and toxic-fumigant free pecans!  With the cost of nuts going up so drastically, this has been a tremendous blessings to us this year and we are thankful to Yahweh for His bountiful provision.

Maybe y'all ought to think about planting a few nut trees too!

Blessings,

24 comments:

  1. I did not know that about almonds...very bummed...we love "raw" almonds! :( keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea,
    I agree! I'll also be avoiding products with almonds in them....my favorite candy is Almond Rocca. I usualy indulge at Christmas time...not this year :)

    Blessings,
    cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheri,

    Do you know about how to soak raw nuts in salty water, and then dry them? I do this with walnuts (and other nuts) and think that they taste MUCH better (that odd bitterness is much reduced, and they are crispier). I learned it from the book Nourishing Traditions. I wonder if it'd help you enjoy your black walnuts more.

    I make a fancy fruitcake each year around this time for my dad, using fruit I've dehydrated and nuts that I've treated that way. It's great!

    ~ Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummy...we surely need the REAL PRINCE OF PEACE to get here and fix up all this craziness. I wonder why they don't force ALL truckers to retire from driving trucks? I got hit and could have been killed by one this January...seems to make as much sense to me as pasturizing almonds...go figure. Our society has gone simply mad.

    Say if you know the email for the Kansas Milkmaid...she posts that she is wondering why no one is commenting...her site is STILL not letting one post a comment.

    Thanks for your good posts!! One always learns things here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane,
    I did not know that! I'm slowly working my way through Nourishing Traditions...I'll look it up.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth,
    Come quickly Lord Jesus!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had read that the FDA was going to push this through on all vegetables and fruits but didn't know that almonds were in there as well. Sigh. Almonds are my favorite breakfast. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather,
    Wow! Didn't know that....time to get your garden plans going everyone!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, cheri, you are speaking Mark's language.

    Nuts nuts and more nuts.

    He's got three HUGE bins of black walnuts that he and the kids processed. I don't like them, though, perhaps I will after trying Diane's tip.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I never realized that pecans, almonds, etc., would grow in the states. Now I'm going to have to research...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth,
    Christine is aware of the problem and working to get it fixed :)

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jonathan,
    Most of our almonds come from California. We have lots of pecans, black walnuts, hazelnuts, hickroy nuts and more here in TN.
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's terrible! and almonds are my favorite... :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. As we used to say in my family or crowd years ago - "Oh, for crying out loud!" How in the world can one organization make so many stupid greedy mistakes. I was just reading about Monsanto and GMO's and was so disgusted the other day. We have 16 black walnut trees, ugh. This is our first year here so we weren't sure what to do with them but knew it wasn't easy so we let them waste. Maybe next year I will try the process. Still have piles laying around all black and yucky. They actually poison the ground they grow on I also heard so at least they are around the driveway and property side only. This week I will have to clean them up for good but no trash pick up so we have to get creative. I wish we could grow pecans here but I think we are too far north, yummy pecans. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You might enjoy having an English walnut tree. They are fairly quick growing, and are so buttery delicious compared to the often intense and bitter Black walnut.

    Just a thought (as I am munching on some delicious fresh English walnuts right now!) I really enjoy your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for this post! I learn so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, I've never understood that almond regulation. Over reactionary. But I'm also convinced the FDA is crooked as well.

    I'd happily sign a, "C'mon FDA. Seriously? Get real" petition. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Zoe,
    I agree...definitely crooked....or more accurately "on the take"...
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheri,
    Glad you got the harvest of pecans--they're so yummy in cookies!

    I am so frustrated with the government overstepping it's bounds!

    And I love almonds too... :(
    Tell those Nuts to leave our nuts alone! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sort of jealous -- pecans are my *favorite*! I'm hoping to be able to put in some pecan trees in the future, but we're going to need more land. 10 acres doesn't quite cut it for everything we'd like to do.
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cheri and others:

    You can still get raw almonds. You just have to order them from the almond growers directly.

    I know that recently a bunch of people ordered almonds in a group buy that are really raw. I don't know if you can still get them but you might ask at www.greensmoothiegirl.com.

    In what zones will almonds grow?

    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sharri - AMEN!

    Jen - my favorites too!

    Sandra, Thanks for the info...didn't know that.
    I'm not sure what zone - am sure you could google that. I know that most are grown in CA.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you order straight from the organic farmer, they are not required to spray. I order ours from www.organicpastures.com in California. They are very good and are less expensive than the "organic" ones at Whole Foods. We just love almond milk and don't want to give them up. Glad we can still have them with out the sprays.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails