Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas Memories

A few more glimpses into our Christmas celebration!

Last year, because of our situation, we had $15.00 to spend on a tree...and we found a delightful little Charlie Brown tree.  Knowing that the next year would be more difficult, we took a Christmas tin and placed any "found" money in the tin all throughout the year.  "Found money" was money found on the ground, in the laundry, the car and more.  When we added it up this year it came to exactly $40!  Guess what this beautiful fir tree cost?

Our beautiful tree!

Elijah spent many hours out in the boys' shop creating something mysterious for me.  I was banished with threats of coal in my stocking so I didn't dare peek!  Turns out he was creating two cedar ornaments for me!  One is a hand cut heart and the other is a lovely stacked wooden ornament!  How blessed I am!

Hand made gifts from Elijah to me!

Joshua gave us this wonderful game for Christmas!  We have spent many hours playing it already and highly recommend it .  It has quickly become one of my favorite games....small caution - review the cards first before playing....I found just a few that I felt were inappropriate and discreetly discarded them.

Fun Game!

Another hand made gift from Elijah!  These are cedar hearts that he cut himself to keep my dresser drawers smelling wonderful!  The time he took to create these....it just means so much to this mama heart of mine!

Hand cut hearts!

One of Elijah's favorite gifts!

Bird crazy!

Then, after a breakfast of fresh squeezed orange juice and homemade cinnamon rolls,  it was off to Grandma's house to begin all over again.

Grandma's Tree!

The boys started with stockings - I don't think Elijah ever removed the hat...evidently he really liked it!

Stockings!

There were lots of lovely presents to open!  My Mom manages to find the most beautiful wrapping paper and gift tags...each one is a work of art!  She is so gifted!

Lots of presents!

Mom served us lunch...spiral cut ham, croissants for sandwiches, coleslaw and cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory for desert - yummy!

Lunch!

After helping to clean up from lunch, we headed home.  I put the turkey in the oven  and then we spent the next few hours playing games together while the smells wafted from the oven...it was so much fun!  Then it was time for me to head back into the kitchen to pull together the last minute things for Christmas dinner.  I had prepared as much as possible the days before which allowed me to spend my time playing games with the boys on Christmas...I am thankful that I took the time to do this...it made my day so much more enjoyable!  We used to do Christmas dinner at around 2:00 in the afternoon but it kept me in the kitchen all day and left me exhausted...taking the step to move it to the evening meal made all the difference in the world for me!

We had turkey, stuffing, sweet potato souffle, green beans, homemade rolls and pecan pie for desert!

Christmas Dinner!

Then hours more of family fun and games!

Lots of games!

I hope each of you took time through this season to enjoy the most important things..the celebration of our Savior who came crucified for our sins, our families and our friends!

Blessings!

5 comments:

  1. Apples to Apples is soooooooo much fun! :D

    I'm glad you all had such a wonderful Christmas, I enjoyed reading about your traditions and of course seeing the pictures also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah we LOVE Apples to Apples too!! Good idea to toss some of those cards...we had a very awkward moment on Christmas. Someone read out "s*x and the city" and of course my cousin's 4 year old daughter repeated it not knowing what she just said. Our eyes all got really big and we were quite a bit more cautious after that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful day Cheri. We, too, had a very blessed Christmas. Back to back company, lots of love, lots of laughs. And some game playing. The time has flown by and Daniel leaves day after tomorrow. I was hoping to get up to see you, but Friday Mom has Dr. appointments. Have a very blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just thought of another Apples to Apples memory that was fun- Jason & I lead the 10th grade small group at our church so we brought it one night. We all lost it when one girl read "Alfredo Hitler" - completely serious! I think she was just so excited it was her turn and didn't take the time to read it right!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails