Friday, December 5, 2008

Walking on marbles...

.....at least that's what it felt like. I think I mentioned that our pecan tree has been prolific this year.  Well, we had no idea.  We had picked up well over 5 gallons during November.  But, now that the cold has settled in, the tree has lost its leaves and the wind has begun to blow....it is RAINING pecans.

Our yard has been so littered with pecans that it is almost impossible to walk safely through the yard.  I had to tell my Mom, who is a little unsteady on rough terrain, to stay out of the area!



We have had a little rain and lots of snow flurries these last two weeks making it too wet to pick up nuts.  Today, however, was a beautiful day - warm and sunny.  Beautiful enough to be outside without a coat.  So, after school today, we ventured out to rake pecans.  Yes.  I said rake. I raked pecans into piles like most people rake leaves.  Then we'd go through the piles and pick up the pecans. I listened to my boys plan inventions that would make this job easier.  They had some great ideas and I am sure something will come forth from their workshop before next fall rolls around.



We filled a 5 gallon bucket...and kept picking.  Josiah climbed the tree (he can climb a tree faster than a cat!).  He shook limbs and we watched it RAIN pecans...

*Note to self* Never stand close to the tree when it is raining pecans...unless you have a hard hat.


We talked and picked up pecans.  Elijah sang praise songs...and we picked up pecans.  The kittens joined us...and we picked up pecans.  We made Christmas plans....and picked up pecans.  We picked up pecans for about 3 hours and filled 3...count 'em 3....5 gallon buckets.  And the ground is still littered with them!




Even my Mom joined us for a few hours to help pick them up.  She has also been cracking and picking in the evenings. My friend Julie also told me that we can bag them whole and freeze them.  I think one night next week, I'll pick a Christmas movie and we'll bag while we watch...sounds like fun and then my living room decor can loose the big white buckets!



Our pies this Thanksgiving were made from our wonderful, organic pecans and what a difference in taste.  The flavor was so delicious - not sure what they are doing to the pecans in the stores but these were SO much better.


I sent home a gallon bag with my brother to Florida.  I gave another gallon to a sweet friend from North Carolina who came to Thanksgiving.  We have more bagged up to bless local friends. I'd say our total count SO FAR is at least 25 gallons of pecans this year.  I'll let you know when we're done!


Here's the kicker....


Why so many pecans?  We have lived here for 10 years.  We have NEVER seen this.  NEVER.  We might pick up a bucketful some years.  Most years little to nothing. We have been pondering this.  There has been one of those niggly little things in the back of my mind...."this means something".  But I just couldn't seem to remember.  I knew I had read something....somewhere...but I couldn't remember.


Then someone mentioned it and all the lights came on (yes...sometimes all my circuits dont' fire at the same time....happens once you pass the 50 year mark!)  An extra bountiful nut harvest is a good sign of a hard winter to come! Duh!  I knew that...somewhere in the deep, dark, recesses of my mind.


It is our Father's way of providing for His creatures and His people.  He knows what the weather will be and He reaches out months before to make preparation for us since we are unaware of what will happen.  What a loving Father!  This might also explain the amount of snow flurries we have been experiencing.  Months ahead of schedule!  My boys and I were in a neighboring town this week - much closer to the Smokies - and it was pouring snow.  I was worried about getting home it was snowing so hard.  It was so beautiful...breathtaking.....then the sun came out and it was all gone.  This cycle happened three or four times during the course of the day.  What fun it was!  How unusual it was...


The boys and I are excited.  We have been praying for at least one good snowfall so we can spend a day sledding together.  We have a wonderful sledding hill.  We sled until we are frozen stiff, come in to homemade hot cocoa and gingerbread, throw the clothes in the dryer and then suit up and head out again. All.day.long.  Did I mention that we suit up at night and sled under the millions of stars in the sky?  It is a breathtaking experience!  I can remember laying in the snow at the bottom of the hill and praying with Josiah and Elijah under the stars one year.


We had a mild snowstorm here about 10 years ago.  Perhaps 5 or 6 inches but it made for wonderful sledding. Elijah was a baby and doesn't remember it.  We've had paltry little snows over time but nothing very deep.  We are hoping that this is the year.  We are hoping for The Big One! (Sorry Amy!)


We are ever so thankful for this bountiful harvest.  I don't think I will need to purchase pecans for years!  Yet another provision and blessing from the hands of our very caring Father.


Blessings,




18 comments:

  1. Truly amazing; a bountiful harvest by God's design. I am so excited for you. Enjoy your coming winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca,
    Thanks so much! I've been praying that you would be making the change your hearts desire soon. Will continue to do so :)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I found you from Amy's blog..at the sidebar comments. Saw TN and had to come "see." Our family plan was for son and family and her parents and her brother and wife and baby-to-be to move to TN next summer from mostly Florida. We are praying the economy will still let them. Our plan (all this providing it is what God wants) was to join them when hubby retires in 4 years... Lord willing he still has a job. etc. etc. (I've been reading lots of Amy's links) Anyway they are buying 11 1/2 acres in NE Tenn and we're to buy 1 1/2 from them. I don't think you're in that part because from there we look south on the Appalachians and you mentioned the Smokies. I need to google. At this point, no one is talking about being self-sufficient. We'll see what time brings--maybe they will be more willing! At least our son's brother-in-law is getting his degree in fishery and wildlife or something like that. He was telling us all about the plants/trees there. That will be a help!! ok. just wanted to comment (and ask what part of TN you're in) and now I'll go explore the rest of your blog. Enjoy those pecans! and how I wish I could send you some snow. But sounds like our Lord will.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lois!
    We are in NE TN too! Wonder if you're going to be "close by"! Sounds like a wonderful family plan....staying close together. I admire you all!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking the bountiful harvest was caused by last year's drought. We had (for us) a bumper crop of peaches, acorns, blueberries, etc. Lots of grasshoppers and June bugs too. My theory would be that, during drought conditions, a plant is severely stressed and sends out a message to make lots of progeny in case the main plant dies. Of course, the reason for all the insects this year is that they need water....and we had (nearer to) normal rainfall this year. Just my thoughts.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristin,
    We also had other bumper crops. We've been in a drought here for 10 years...this has been the worst year. I forget how many inches we are shy of normal...a good many. Our pond has shrunk...the creeks are dry....so I am not sure how that might figure...

    It is pouring snow as I sit here - really much earlier than normal.

    Loved your blog and plan to go back and explore when I have a bit more time.

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise God for His bountiful blessings!
    Love hearing about the boys invention talk - that brings back good memories.

    I'm catching up on your past few posts today. As you may know, you are always in my prayers and will continue to be.

    And I would love to get Jeremy together with my crew. I've got all guitar players and vocalists. Could use a good drummer!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi again Cheri,

    The land our son and his in-laws are buying is between Johnson City and Greeneville, a little bit north of whatever highway connects them, on "Happy Valley" Road. Cool, huh? The dryness was a little discouraging, but the family is really thrilled with it. Our daughter-in-law's parents saw it for the first time in October having bought it last March (saw pictures and videos) and he didn't want to leave...wanted to get a tent and stay. :) She can't retire yet till next year though.

    so I'm still thinking you're closer to the mts. than we will be...???

    Our son says the younger will take care of the elder. Had a lovely conversation with him this morning about a book he's read about family and church. I'm eager to see what God will do...as He wills. (per James)

    Blessing to you too,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lois!!
    Welcome! Ya'll are just a short hop up the road! We'll have to share a cup of tea when you get settled!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have had bountiful fruit and nut harvests here in Indiana/S. Illinois as well. I have loads of nuts to pick out this year! Praise the LORD!!! Isn't He GOOD and AMAZING? I, too, have heard that it is in preparation for a hard winter.

    So good to catch up on your wonderful boys. I am so proud of them! (Proud of you, too, mama...you're doing a good job!)

    *proud not in a bad way. Proud in a thankful, pleased as punch sorta way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cheri

    Since you didn't choose my name, and since you are sending me some soap and tea, maybe you could pack them in a few walnuts? I'm sure that their journey to WI would be much safer nestled in walnuts than in anything else you could find!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Holly! How sweet to hear encouraging words! Bless you!
    Love in Him,
    Cheri


    Melissa,
    How I wish you had suggested that BEFORE I sent your package! Wouldn't THAT have been fun!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pecans sound like our raspberries last summer! I guess it's a bit hard for me to get too excited about snow ... I've lived in it all my life. It's strange how it can be fall and the weather is cooling off; then as soon as it snows it's as if it never left. We really need to find cross country skis, as this area is perfect for the sport.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lynn,
    Raspberries! I'd love to have a bountiful harvest! My favorite fruit!

    I'd like more snow - we get a lot of it coming down but it rarely sticks. When I was growing up in VA we had lots of snow...they say they used to have lots of snow here.

    Have those boys make some skis :)

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really!! That's really cool. We actually are the last ones to move...unless something doomsy happens and my husband can't wait till 66 to retire. But we'll be coming down to see the clan 2-3 times a year I'm thinking if not more. What we did this year was meet halfway in NC (the one getting his degree is there) and drive straight up to the property, about an hour. My husband just ate wild black raspberries the whole time. I took pictures of the pear and apple trees. huge. And baling the hay on the land. And we attracted ticks.

    But living in the country, how many minutes do you call a short hop? And thanks so much for the lovely invite to share a cup of tea. You can can up and have tea at our place and pick raspberries!

    I'd love to share some of this snow with you. We're getting dumped on. (lake effect now after normal all day)

    by the way, I'm about to borrow Piper's book you've got on the side. And I think that's the one our pastor gave out to the 3 graduates this year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my how I love pecans.... I do need to plant a tree this spring. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cheri,

    I agree East TN has been in a drought for years. We've had our (high flow) well drop by more than 60 feet in that time. Our area did much better rain-wise this year after last. I did drive through your area in August and was shocked how dry it was compared to ours. We've had a much better years compared to last.

    Lord-willing, this year will improve again, particularly for you. It can be very stressful when raising animals to have droughts.

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails