Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Winter Wonderland

Well...for this area it was a bit of a wonderland.  Those of you with 4 feet of snow on the ground might as well skip this post.  I've got nothing on you.

However, for those of us longing for the white stuff, the last couple of days have been fun!  The boys have been longing for this for a special reason.....you'll see in a bit.

Lacey butterfly bush

The boys built a snowman...he'll be here for awhile because our temperatures aren't dropping.  A high of 9 the other day and a low of 3.  Brrrrrr....

Snowman!

Oh....if only we had ice skates!

Icey pond!

The boys brought me a piece of the ice from the pond - it was about 6 inches thick.  Is that enough to hold their weight?  Elijah wanted to take his sled right across the pond.  I nixed that idea.....I had no desire to fish him out of the middle. One year (when we had a lot more snow!) my oldest son rode a row boat down the hill and across the pond....let's just say I'm glad he was in a boat.

But the real reason the boys have been longing for snow?  A few weeks ago, our good friend Sue brought the boys a present.  The coolest sled we've ever seen...sort of a snowmobile without a motor....at least that is what Elijah calls this thing (his snowmobile to be precise.....somehow he thinks that anything that comes from Sue was specially meant for him!).

The day Sue brought it over, Elijah sat on it in the living room for about 2 hours.  Yesterday he got to try it out for real!

World's Best Sled - chosen by Elijah!

This thing has a steering wheel and brakes!  It flew down the hill even though we only had a couple of inches of snow.  It is really fast!  Ask. me. how. I. know.

Elijah and I did a little sledding together before the other boys were up.  Our sledding hill is a long steep hill.  I always enjoy the ride down but never think it is worth the trip back  up the hill....especially when it is below 10 degrees!

I guess our whooping and hollering woke his brothers because before you know it this happened....

Big'un and little 'un!

They flew down....almost to the fence.  I'm thinking that if we ever get that really good snowfall...at least 6 inches or more....this sled might need a bigger field.

Thanks Stan and Sue.....the boys had a ball!  *ahem*  I might have enjoyed myself too!

I've been able to spend a lot of this snowy time working on my Soap Making book.  You'll be hearing more about that soon.

Other good things are happening...life is so good!  I'm so thankful to my Father for His blessings....a dusting of snow, my wonderful boys, good friends, our church family, hot chocolate and the wind in our faces and snow on our eyelashes.....I'm so blessed!

14 comments:

  1. I am quite envious. We had to turn our air conditioning on twice last week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear your in good spirits! We've had nothing of a real snow this winter, just a light dusting here and there. I'd like to see just one good 4-5" snowfall~preferably on a day I don't have to work! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have about a foot and for the first time in years there is enough ice on the our rather large pond to ice skate. 2 inches solid is enough to safely ice skate on though be careful around the edges and watch for dark spots (dark spots mean the ice is thinner). Take a snow shovel over it and check it but it should be all right. We have about 5 inches of ice and have been ice skating daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhh that looks like a bowl of fun, me too, me too, ha. i'm so excited to be in weather of 10 to 18 degrees, (GA), i saw my first red bird yesterday and he/she was so happy flitting from one branch to another. it was a wonderful sight. yes God is good and all the time! have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rebecca,
    I remember those times from Florida. Winter never really got cold much less snowed. I think I like the snow better.
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    Heather,
    Thanks! I'll tell the boys!
    Cheri

    Kay,
    GA!? Does that mean you made the move? Hope you will be close enough for visits now :)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheri, we were told that since our pond is about 8' deep to let the ice be around 4" or up. I just found this on line...

    Recommended Minimum Ice Thickness for New Clear Hard Ice:
    3" (7cm) or less STAY OFF
    4" (10cm) ice fishing, walking, cross country skiing
    5" (12cm) one snowmobile or ATV

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marci,
    Thanks so much!! I'll keep this in my notes so the boys will always know. Thanks for looking this up!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you guys got to go sledding! In my opinion it should be an Olypmic sport. I could compete! :-)

    I certainly enjoyed the snow and cold these past few days, though I can't say the same for the rest of my family, Nate excluded (Southerners!). :-P I'm shocked at how long the snow has survived! And I'm all for more of the white stuff. HUZZAH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh how I wish more snow fell in our yard! :( my poor brother... we barely had enough to look at, much less play in. Yet, in Monroe, 30 mins away, (at the YWAM base to be exact), I saw pictures of several inches covering EVERYTHING! *sigh* I love the snow... and I keep getting teased. However, I did get the day off cause I pretty much refused to drive in it... with good reason, several people found ditches on their way to work that morning!

    Josh, snow, a row boat and a frozen pond... I wish I could have seen that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amanda,
    I'm pretty sure I have it on video :)Come back soon and we'll pop popcorn!
    Love,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had a few beautiful sunny, warm days, and now we are headed back into frigid temps. About this point anyone that wants our snow can have it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn,
    I'd take it if I could! So, have the giraffes been covered up yet?
    Much love,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here, in Eastern NC, we had about 4 - 6 inches (the first "real" snowfall in about 8 or 9 yrs)...it was so beautiful...breathtaking, really. I took some photos too, some of which turned out really nice. Once the home computer is up and running again (ugh), I will send you some of them. :)

    Sorry I have been "out of the loop" of your blog for so long....between the recent holidays, the current workload at my ofc (we are switching practice mgmt systems), and the problems with the home computer, it's been a "roller-coaster ride" these past few weeks. Have missed keeping up w/you and your family! :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, Cheri, the giraffes have now buried their heads in the snow to avoid getting frostbite!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails