Thursday, November 4, 2010

Mistakes can be wonderful!

I often have a houseful of company - it is not unusual for me to cook for 12 to 20 people.  We had an evening planned with some close friends and just our two families make 10 at the table. I found an old recipe for rolls and decided to be foolish brave and use this recipe for the first time when our friends came for supper.  I don't often try something new when we have company but these friends are more like family so I knew they would have grace with any failures.

Now, the problem was that I really enjoy visiting with my friend - so we tend to chat non-stop.  Have you ever been engrossed in conversation while making something new?  Not the best idea.  I didn't notice that this recipe used both wheat and white flour.

I added the required amount of wheat flour and the dough was "soupy" so I added some more...and some more...and some more...and THEN I thought to check the recipe - OH!  white flour too!  So I did a bit of quick math and added the little white flour needed to make this recipe.  Now, I've never tried it with more white flour so I don't have a base to compare by, however, these rolls were wonderful!  I call them Hearty Wheat Rolls and you'll find the recipe below.

Even better - my good friend Julie and I were talking after I sent her this recipe and wondering if we could freeze the dough to have on those nights when there just isn't time to make fresh bread.  She rolled some of these dough balls and froze them and guess what....it worked!  She thawed the dough balls, allowed them to rise and then baked them...and they were delicious!  Next time I plan to make a double batch and freeze the extra!


Here's the recipe as it was written:

Hearty Wheat Rolls

2 pkgs yeast (1/4 oz each) active dry yeast
2 1/4 cups warm water
1/2 cup plus 1 tblsp. sugar
1/4 cup shortening
2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter melted

In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add the sugar, shortening, salt, eggs and whole wheat flour.  Beat until smooth.  Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.

Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 top 8 min.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.  Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down.  Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into four pieces. Shape each of those four pieces into 12 balls.  Place 1 inch apart on greased baking sheets.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.

Bake at 375 for 11 to 15 min. or until browned.  Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter.  Serve warm.  Yield 4 doz.

Here's what I changed...

I used 4 1/2  to 5 cups wheat flour and 2 to 2 1/2 cups all purpose unbleached flour.  I let the DLX machine do the kneading and kept flour on my hands for rolling the balls. I also made the balls a bit bigger (half the size of an egg) and cooked them a bit longer - closer to 20 - 25 min. until they were golden.

Enjoy and let me know what you think!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails