Thursday, March 17, 2011

Recipes!

I'm not sure what to call this recipe - Roasted Pepper & Chicken Pasta?  It is quick easy, healthy and delicious.

I'm not big on measurements so adjust accordingly.  This dish made enough to feed me and 3 hungry boys.  We had enough left to easily serve 3 or 4 other people.  Let's say it serves 6 for sure.

Cook a package of penne pasta.  I used whole wheat.  Here's a tip for perfect pasta. Bring your water to a boil with a sprinkle of olive oil in it.  Add your pasta, give it a stir and turn off the heat.  The residual heat will cook your pasta to perfection every time!

Take 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and cut into bite size pieces - about 1 inch cubes. Place in bowl and cover with 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar.  Give it a stir every once in awhile.  Next time I would put this in a zip lock and let it marinate for several hours.

While the pasta is cooking put some olive oil (2 tblsp.) in a cast iron skillet.  Cut up a medium onion and toss into the olive oil.  Add 5 large cloves of minced garlic. (We love garlic - feel free to adjust to your own tastes. Drain the chicken and add to the skillet. Cook until the chicken is done.

I then added about 4 tomatoes from my freezer - from last year's garden.  You could use canned tomatoes  but don't use tomatoes from the store since they have no flavor. If you make this in the summer, use fresh tomatoes from your garden - 4 or 5 of them!  Add 1/2 jar of roasted sweet red peppers sliced thin. During the summer, roast some red peppers on the grill over low heat until the skins get black.  Then slip the skins and slice the peppers. I did this often last summer.  Slip them into zip lock bags and freeze them for delicious eating all winter long! Add 1/2 cup chicken broth.  I used some I had canned myself.

Add about 2 tblsp. Italian seasoning - home made or store bought and salt to taste.

Drain your perfectly cooked pasta and top with the chicken mixture.  Sprinkle with freshly ground parmesan cheese.

Serve with a salad and home made bread sticks.....yummy!

Happy eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails