Friday, June 17, 2011

It's raining men!

My third-born son turned 18 a couple of days ago.  I can hardly believe it - three men I call son. Doodle is shooting up so fast that I believe he will be as tall as me before the end of the year.  Before I can blink they will all be men.

Because of scheduling conflicts - Josiah's family party will be delayed so that all of us can be there but yesterday was still his birthday and I wanted it to be special. When asked what he wanted to do, he just wanted a day to sleep in and relax. Easy peasy! He also wanted to go to home group that night.  Jeremy has been teaching that class for many months now and that night was supposed to be the last class.  Supposed to be! 

Josiah had asked me not to bring a cake or make a big deal out of his birthday at home group.  So, of course I complied, agreed, nodded and completely ignored him. He knew he wasn't going to get off that easy...nobody does.


I had a plan!


Months ago an unexpected package arrived in the mail (aren't those the best kind?).  It was from a faithful customer who has become a sweet friend. When I opened the package, it contained the most beautiful tallit I have ever seen...and it was a messianic tallit!  All of my boys loved it but within minutes of opening it, I knew what I was supposed to do with it!

I tucked the shawl away and began to make plans...over the last few weeks, I've made phone calls, written emails, run secret errands and ordered a fabulous cake to pull this off!  I never could have done it without everyone's cooperation and willingness to help me make this a special night for a special young man! 

Here's how it all turned out!


I asked our elder if we could have a surprise party that night instead of regular home group. Right after worship he asked Josiah to come sit in a chair....Josiah had no idea what was about to happen! Does he look a bit nervous to you?




Another dear friend translated the Hebrew on the atarah, the embroidered piece in the "collar" area when placed around the shoulders.  The translation turned out to be ""Blessed are you oh Adonai, Eloheinu, King of the Universe, who has fulfilled all of Torah through Yahushua the Messiah and has covered us with His Righteousness".


  I had asked Tootie if he would join with the men in our group to bless Josiah and present him with this beautiful prayer shawl. I left the rest up to him and he amazed me - what a blessing - his family's love for my son is very evident.  He presented the prayer shawl to Josiah... while sharing the above translation with him.

Josiah could hardly keep his eyes off of this beautiful tallit!

Then several men were asked to read the scriptures found on each corner of this tallit and to pray for Josiah! His older brother Jeremy led...


And the rest of the men followed, each reading a scripture and praying for Josiah as the rest of us joined in prayer...it was such a special time of encouragement and love!



I asked a dear friend in our church to bake a "guitar cake" for the occasion.  This was something Josiah had seen before and wanted me to make for his next birthday.  Let's just say that I felt this was beyond my capabilities...I'll make the cake for our family celebration.  This woman's talents are amazing..if you are local and need a special cake you need to meet this special lady!


All lit up!



Just before slicing! Not only was it beautiful but delicious too!


Then we enjoyed great food and fellowship! Notice he is still wearing the shawl!


I'd say he's a contented young man - don't you think?


I stand amazed that my heavenly Father used another one of His daughters, over a thousand miles away, and prompted her to purchase and send this special tallit to my boys!

I told Josiah this..."your Heavenly Father sent one of His daughters, over one thousand miles away, shopping for you...He sent her to a certain thrift store, on a certain day, at a certain time to find a particular gift He had for you...when she saw it He reminded her of you, prompted her to purchase it and mail it to us...don't ever doubt Yahweh's ability to gather from the far corners to bring you what you need and what will bless you...He is Jehovah Jireh!".

How blessed we all are by our friends and church family.

Blessings,

2 comments:

  1. He would not have known what a treasured gift had he not been raised by one wise Momma. Well done, Dear Lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome post. So inspiring and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails