Friday, August 19, 2011

French Silk Supreme Pie - Part 2 - The Filling

Today we finish making this wonderful pie.  Your crust should be baked and cooled.  Your chocolate curls should be in the frig waiting for you. (see previous post!)

 Let's make the filling and you could be serving pie for supper tonight...I know I will be!
The very first thing we need to do is melt 3 one-ounce squares of unsweetened chocolate in a double boiler. We do this first because the chocolate must cool before it can be added to the filling mixture. 

While your chocolate is cooling, you can assemble the rest of your ingredients.  You will need 3/4 cup softened butter, 1 cup sugar, 3 eggs, 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla, cream for whipping and a bit of sugar to whip with your cream.

Next, place 3/4 cup softened butter and 1 cup of sugar into a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy. I use my Magic Mill mixer - my favorite kitchen tool! Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.  You can see I used the same spatula that I stirred the chocolate with.

Now add your cooled chocolate.  If the chocolate is warm, you will cause the butter to melt and the structure of your pie will be completely different - more like a chocolate cream pie (ask me how I know!)  We are striving for a very high, light filling. Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl often!

Now add 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. I'm using my homemade vanilla - yummy!

Next you are going to add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one. 
Scrape the sides of the bowl after adding each egg.

You should see the structure of your filling increase in size.
Your filling should not be soupy or "pourable".  It should be thick and rich. You will have to scoop it out of the bowl and lay it in your pie crust.
Make sure you gently push it up against the sides of your pie shell.  It will be higher in the middle than on the edges.

Fill the entire shell and then lick the spatula!
Now place this in the frig for at least 5 hours before serving.
I've served it in as little as 3 hours but it was better after 5.

Now for the "supreme" part - the toppings!
Place heavy whipping cream in your mixer and add sugar to taste - I usually use a bit less than a tablespoon.  The goal is a hint of sweet but nothing that would overpower your pie.  Beat on high until it forms stiff peaks - be careful! - if you over beat it you will have butter!

Aaaahhhh....look at those peaks!
Please! Don't ruin this amazing pie with the chemical concoctions in your freezer section! You can whip your own cream in just a couple of minutes and the taste and texture is far above anything that comes in a plastic tub!


Cover the top of your pie with your whipped cream

Be sure to press your whipped cream to the edges of your pie crust.  This will hide any imperfections and prevent it from "shrinking" in the frig before serving!

Now...find those chocolate curls that you made! Using a spoon, sprinkle them all over your pie!
I think this one needs just a bit more...

That looks wonderful!  Wouldn't this "wow" your family and friends?

Wait till you taste this amazing creation!


This recipe was sent to me by a dear young friend (thanks Lauren!) but you can also find it in the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook!

Next year, my boys want me to enter this pie in the county fair. After looking at the pie entries this year (only 2 pitiful specimens)  I just might do that!
Now, I'm off to make one myself for Shabbat tonight!

Let me know what you think after you taste this divine concoction!

2 comments:

  1. Ummm.... I wish you lived closer. I need only a tiny slice of that. If I make one, it will call my name. YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just serve it when you have company - believe me there won't be any left! It's also great to take to church functions, pot lucks etc. I understand the "calling my name". Even from the freezer sometimes!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails