Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Soap Class Fun!

I'm so blessed by my students!  Sunday was a fun, fun, FUN afternoon!  I always feel like I have made new friends after each class.  This past Sunday the ladies were fun, inquisitive, involved and just made my day!

For our first "simple" recipe, we made a new soap...yes..I confess..I have a compulsion to make new soap!  This time I had lots of help.  We made a peppermint soap with some crushed organic peppermint leaves.  This is the first time I've made a pure peppermint soap.  I do make a Peppermint Tea Tree soap for it's antibacterial qualities and I love it.  But there is something about the smell of peppermint at the holidays that just seems fit and proper. 

I wished there was a natural way to achieve a bright red - it is so tempting sometimes to go for the pretty colors but it just doesn't fit my family's desire to live as healthy and naturally as possible and to provide y'all with truly pure and natural products.  Each day we get a wee bit closer to our own goal and hope we are helping you get there too.  Chemical and artificial colorants definitely don't belong in my soaps!  However the bits of peppermint leaves are lovely don't you think?

Ladies...I'd say y'all did a fine job and it turned out beautifully!  My office smells heavenly and I'm in the mood to decorate and bake!  One of our favorites is Peppermint cookies and I'll post that recipe when I can.





 This peppermint soap will be ready the beginning of December!

For our second batch of soap, we made Double Mint soap.  We colored this soap with Spirulina which is an amazing nutrient filled with vitamins and minerals and composed of 65% amino acids, including the essential fatty acid gamma linolenic acid (GLA). It's a wonderful choice for nutritional reasons and definitely safe and healthy to use in coloring my soap!

We removed and colored a portion of our soap and then re-introduced it back into the pot in a specific way to induce a lovely swirl.

Ladies...what do you think?


I think she turned out lovely!  This color will fade as it cures so we experimented in class.  I doubled the amount of spirulina I normally use to see if this lovely green will stay a bit darker than normal.  We won't know for about a month if it worked.  This soap is made with peppermint and spearmint essential oils and smells so refreshing!



Thank you, students, for a lovely afternoon!  I enjoyed getting to know all of you, sharing our stories, sharing some herbal snacks and visiting together.  Sometimes it's just nice to have "mama time".  

You were certainly a blessing to me!

Happy soaping....and don't forget to contact me with any questions as you embark on your own soap making journey!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails