Thursday, December 16, 2010

Our Favorite Christmas Books

Several readers have emailed me to ask what books I use for our evening read aloud...you know...the ones the boys pick that make me cry every time.


I keep a huge wicker basket filled with books at the end of our couch.  I'm always on the lookout for good read aloud stories so be sure to share your favorites with me in the comment section at the end of this post.

Here are some of our favorites....

1.  Mary's First Christmas
     A sweet story told by Mary to her son about His first Christmas and His purpose.
     Mary's First Christmas

2.  The Gift of the Magi
     My favorite story!  This book celebrates the joy of sacrificial giving and it always brings a tear!
     The Gift of the Magi

3.  The Patricia St. John Christmas Book
     If you haven't read Patricia St. John's books before you are in for a treat!


4.  The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
     This book helps me to remember to be sensitive to others at this time of year - they may be suffering deeply...sweet story with a happy ending!
      The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey with CD: Gift Edition

5. Best Loved Christmas Carols: The Storeis Behind 25 Yuletide Favorites
    Full of history, magnificent art work and includes a CD of the songs.  One of our favorites!
    Best-Loved Christmas Carols: The Stories Behind Twenty-five Yuletide Favorites

6. Why the Chimes Rang
    My version is a very old hardback book.  However this story is included in this book - its similar to the story of the widow's mite.
    Why the Chimes Rang and Other Stories (Illustrated Edition) (Dodo Press)

7.  Cosmic Christmas
     A fascinating story of the  cosmic battle  in reference to the birth of Christ.  I'm sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere!
     Cosmic Christmas

8. The Special Guest
    A story about tragedy, hope and faith.
    The Special Guest: A Christmas Story

9.  The Promise: A Celebration of Christ's Birthday
     I have the book but this is audio.  Step back in time with Michael Card as he unwraps the most important gift of all!
    The Promise: A Celebration of Christ's Birthday
10.  The Christmas Cross
       My boys loved this when they were little because there are "things" in the book you can remove and touch that are part of the story.  Another book guaranteed to make you cry.
    The Christmas Cross

11.  Once Upon a Christmas
       Many stories and beautiful pictures!
      Once Upon a Christmas: Holiday Stories to Warm the Heart

12 .  Christmas in my Heart
        Old fashioned Christmas stories that remind you what Christmas is really all about!
       Christmas in My Heart 17

There you have it - some of our favorite read-aloud books.  I pray that they bless you as they have blessed us over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails