Thursday, January 15, 2009

For the birds...

It started at Tractor Supply.  We stopped there to pick up a de-icer for a water tank for our goats.  The current one shorted out and Josiah is working on repairing it.  However...since the high today was 24 (read that again people!...a HIGH of 24) and tonight it is 4 degrees NOT including the wind chill, we thought perhaps we might need that de-icer.  While the older boys were picking up what we needed, Elijah and I were browsing the book section.  All of us love books and Tractor Supply has all kinds of farming "how-to" goodies. Elijah went straight for a book on birds.  He is passionate about birds! Then he asked me for my cell phone so he could take a picture of something.  He explained that he found something he was going to build and wanted to take  pictures.  Engrossed in a book on orchards, I think I mumbled "That's nice honey" thinking it was a lovely idea but never really considering it seriously.

A few days later he headed to his shop.  The boys have a little workshop across the driveway that they love to work in.  Josiah was in charge of cleaning it up, organizing all the tools and making it usable.  The boys spend a lot of time there and have been able to really enjoy it.  New tools are purchased each birthday and Christmas or given as gifts.  I am so glad my boys request sensible things...well, at least most of the time.  Books and tools are always high on the list.

There was an afternoon of pounding and hammering and other mysterious sounds.  I was informed by Elijah that "it" would be a surprise and I wasn't to go in the shop.  I got the "ok" sign over his head from Jeremy so I agreed.

Then Josiah asked if I knew that Elijah had dug up a post by my kitchen window and taken it away.  No, didn't know that.  I think this post was something that previous owners had used for hanging a hose. Hhmmm....

I was asked later if I knew that Elijah had sunk that post in the yard under his bedroom window.  Nope, didn't know that either.  I was surprised that Elijah had the ability and perseverance to dig up a big fence post and then dig another hole and plant it properly.  I was kind of proud of him!

I noticed that my plant hanger had disappeared from the corner of the vegetable garden.....mysterious goings on indeed.  The "creation" was revealed to me the next day.  I must say I was really surprised.....and in a good way.

Here is what Elijah has been up to the last couple of days:

Bird feeding station

This is a complete bird feeding station!  I have been requested to tell you that as soon as we have a break in the weather a bird bath is going up next to this.  He is also planning on adding a roof.

Home made bird feeder!

I can not tell you how "wow'd" I was that Elijah built this.  I mean it actually all fits together nicely.  Not that I doubted he could do such a good job but sometimes he is more in a hurry to finish than to think about the importance of a job well done. Way to go Doodle!

He filled different compartments with different feeds to attract different birds.  And it is working beautifully.  This morning we had chickadees, blue birds, blue jays, lots of different colored finches and a few chickens underneath enjoying the morsels that hit the ground.

Happy with his handiwork!

The piece of metal is a scrap we had and his purpose in adding that is to keep our cats from using this as a literal bird feeder for them.  So far it seems to be working.  Notice the suet, the thistle bag and the traditional bird feeder hanging on my "missing" plant hanger.

And the view from his window?  Delightful...Elijah should enjoy many hours of birdwatching from his own room!

100_6959

I have to confess that I was really astounded by this whole project. His idea, he did all the work (that's a BIG one!) and he did an excellent job.  I sat in his room (where I was allowed to see it for the first time) and marvelled...I must have said "I can't believe you did this"  several times  (and it was a good thing....truly I've said it before but not quite in such a happy voice!).  Jeremy's comment was "he even measured everything Mom!".   My "baby" is growing up and has just really impressed the socks off of his mama.

It's a bittersweet moment.  You mama's know what I mean.

I think I'll go get Doodle and do some birdwatching with him before I turn around and find he's getting married.

Blessings,

10 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's tough to realize they are growing up, isn't it? Now I know why my Mom used to cry when watching old movies of our family; she always said she wanted to hold us as babies just one more time! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome project! This is a post my Brandon MUST read. He loves to hear about your boys, especially Elijah. He was just saying yesterday how he wished he lived nearby and they could be friends. Your post made me laugh and cry all in one-minute. Our children do grow up so fast! Thanks for sharing with us and gently reminding me to enjoy my boys today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, what a way to realize your "baby" is growing up. Elijah, you did a magnificent job!! you are a treasure, when i return you'll have to go thru each step with me as you know we both have the same personality with detailed details!!!!oh my, i think i'll call my son!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Elijah!!!! I hope you get to see lots of birds!! A job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely job he did, too.

    Up here north of Chicago we're looking forward gladly to a high of 23 predicted for tomorrow! Last night it was supposedly -20 F in this area. So we're getting 40 more degrees, but it'll still be cold. Sometimes the south really sounds like the place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, Elijah! You'll get a lot of enjoyment out of that, and it's so much more satisfying to know that you've made it yourself! :o) Proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey sound amazing! I love watching birds too! We have a couple of small feeders. I might have to try his idea out. Just a thought though, might aught to but bells on the cats so they don't see it as a buffet! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you hire him out? Mine have all left home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go Elijah! Wonderful job! Great timing too as it is often hard for the birds to find food this time of year.

    You showed alot of talent and discipline doing this job!

    Congrats Cherie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails