Sunday, January 11, 2009

Meet Joe!

This is Joe....he's my mechanic.

Joe!

I met Joe over a year ago.  My Suburban was making a horrible noise.  A friend's husband suggested that it might be the $$air compressor$$.  Yikes!  I took it too Joe's Service Center in Greeneville, TN on the recommendation of a close friend.

He opened the hood and listened.  He retrieved a stethoscope from his shop and listened.  Then he began to smile.  I was completely out of power steering fluid!  He filled it up and refused to take any money.  I don't know if that is because Joe knew I was a newly single Mom or if it was because he is just generally a nice guy.

I had heard good things from my friends but my experiences over the years, even when dealing with people I went to church with, were not positive.  I went to see Joe not really knowing what to expect.  The power steering fluid thing convinced me.  That cost him both time and money. I don't know many who would have made that choice.

Not long after, I had another problem with my Suburban.  Turns out that the last fuel pump that had been put on was the wrong model.  It had been forced on but probably never functioned properly and probably leaked gas.  That could explain my 10 mpg!  The fuel pump was still under warranty and Joe allowed me to bring him the part (correct this time!) and he replaced it properly.

Let me tell you why I am so thankful for Joe.  First of all, he is a Christian and is bold in his faith.  It isn't unusual to find his Bible on the service counter when you walk in.   Because of his love of Christ, he's an honest and trustworthy business man.  I mean really honest and trustworthy!  Joe is also a family man.  Pictures of his family adorn his shop walls.  I love to hear him talk about his children - the love he has for them shines through.  You'll never hear a foul word at Joe's...not from him or others - there is a sign posted on his wall telling you to refrain from profanity in his shop.

Let me tell you why I appreciate Joe so much.  As a woman, I've never had much to do with cars.  I probably should have learned some things along the way and I have done better these last few years.  For instance, I now *ahem* check my power steering fluid and add it when necessary, know how to check my oil, fill up my windshield washer fluid and other small things.  But when something big happens, I am at a loss.

When it comes to auto-mechanics, it is very easy for a woman to be taken advantage of....and plenty of people do.  I never have to worry about that with Joe.  I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for that measure of peace.  If Joe says it needs to be done, then I know it does.  He tells the absolute truth.  I think his prices are very reasonable and he gets things done in a timely manner.  Seems my car always breaks down on the way to or from church.  More than once, I have left my vehicle in his parking lot with a note under the door.  I never have to worry.

I was just telling Joe the other day, that when I could afford it I would be bringing my Suburban back.  I thought the anti-lock brake system was malfunctioning.  When I described it to Joe, he told me what he thought it was and how easy it would be to fix that at home....in about 15 minutes!  Now...I ask you..would your mechanic help you like that and give up a call that might have put money in his pocket?  I have heard from my friends that this is not unusual for Joe.  He has helped them be able to do some things themselves too. He's just that honest!

If you live anywhere close to my area and you need a mechanic you can trust, you need to see Joe (I'd drive 100 miles to take my vehicle to Joe!)   I'd never let anyone else service my vehicle or work on my vehicle again.  I'm a customer for life!  I know that my boys will be too.  He's been a tremendous blessing to the boys and I and a wonderful example for them of a godly business man.  I encourage you to let him be a blessing to you!  When you do, please tell him that Cheri sent you!

Thanks Joe, I really appreciate you and am so grateful you are here!

Happy Birthday - hope you had a great one!

9 comments:

  1. this is such a great story all the way around!!! thank you for sharing. i don't live that way but i pray blessing in his comings and goings,

    ReplyDelete
  2. i meant to say i don't live up there that way. i have a story come to think of. i had given a check to a young family man that i know very well and he needs all the $$$ he caN get. 2 kids here and one on the way.at any rate, i gave him a check to do some yard work at one of my rentals. he comes back in a few days and said, i don't think the work i did was worth as much as money as you gave me. let me give this check back to you and you cut me another one for 1/3rd less? i have NEVER NEVER NEVER had that happen before. the Good Lord has used me plenty with my specific knowledge that i had in my work for other people and praise the Lord i was able to help without pay (He always repays you more than ever) but at any rate. this just happened and i too want to say, Ricky God Bless YOu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cheri,

    Yes! Yet another reason to move to TN!! If I lived in your area I would surely give Joe my business. What a blessing he is to you!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kay,
    Am sure he will appreciate the blessing!
    What a neat story you shared...sounds like you found a treasure also!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam,
    Come on up! I'm just trying to find enough reasons to be able to call you neighbor :)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice story about your mechanic!

    It reminded me of a angel of a mechanic in Wyoming who fixed my car for free AND sent away the stranger who had followed me from the roadside where I had first stalled. That mechanic has a special place in my heart. I think God will arrange a meeting in heaven so I can tell him I've never forgotten it, and thank him personally again.

    You hang on to Joe. A good mechanic is so hard to find.

    Love to you and the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Belated Birthday Joe!!!!
    You are the best mechanic ever!!! Thanks for being so honest and so good at what you do.
    grace and peace,
    The York Family

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails