Thursday, December 20, 2007

Holidays...the good, the bad, and the ugly....

hhmmmm...make that the good, the rotten and the horrific. Here is just a sampling of what we have been doing and seeing around the farm this holiday season.

THE GOOD

We have been enjoying lots of family time, reading, baking, cooking and game playing with an occasional Christmas movie thrown in. We have been going through our game collection, partially to play some things we haven't for a long time and partially because I am sneakily wisely taking notes to clean things out. Several years ago a bunch of us ladies grabbed all of our kids and spent a week at a beach house. While there we played a game called Cranium. Cranium involves charades, sketching, sculpting, spelling (forward and backwards!), knowledge of facts (useful and silly) and lots of other fun stuff.

We have been re-visiting that game (caution: you need to weed some of the cards out) and have thoroughly enjoyed it! Here Jeremy is doing a song and dance for the acting portion.

tn_100_5170_1.JPG

And Josiah is trying to make us say the word rodeo...(you can't see Elijah...he is on the floor doing an admirable imitation of a raging bull!).

tn_100_5173.JPG

And finally, Elijah is just being...well...silly George Foreman doing his "Buy My Grill...I have a hundred sons named George" routine. I wish I had that one on video!

tn_100_5180.JPG

Of course, all of this fun is accompanied by hot cider or eggnog and a lot of homemade Christmas cookies and must be carried out wearing p.j.s :)

tn_100_5171.JPG

Then we move on to....

THE ROTTEN...stinker that is :)

This little one shared with me that he had a "bad day". He was very "lonely" and shed quite a few tears. When I headed to sleep a few hours later to tuck him in...he wasn't where I thought he would be...like in his own bed....I found him in mine (Elijah likes to play musical beds and is known to sleep walk!). However, he is so cute....how could I be mad?tn_100_5119_1.JPG

Please note that he is on MY side of the bed and on MY pillows!

And then there is ...

THE HORRIFIC

There has been much whispering among my older boys. I have just chalked it up to Christmas secrets...however...my suspicion was aroused when I kept hearing the word "grain" and there were multiple trips out to my little garden shed. I most distinctly did NOT ask for grain for Christmas. The night that there appeared to be much celebration between the two boys with high 5's etc., I finally grilled questioned them. They explained that they had been on a "quest" and had finally won....they took me out to show me their prize...YUCK! A rat...in MY shed! And, they have lovingly informed me, it isn't the one that they really hoped to catch...the really BIG one. Grrreeeaaatt...I have a freezer out there....guess the boys will be fetching and carrying for me until they catch the "BIG ONE".

tn_100_5162.JPG

Hold onto your hats ladies...it gets worse!!! Hard to believe but true!

A few weeks ago, we noticed some threads hanging out of what appeared to be a vent in the back of my truck. I thought it odd and pulled them off and threw them away. We had just begun to use the heat so I thought perhaps it had something to do with that. About a week later, I went to the grocery store and when I opened the back to put the groceries in, there were GOBS of threads hanging out of this vent. One word went through my mind...one horrible, frightening, disgusting word.....NEST!

I just KNEW that we had a mouse in my truck...my kids thought I was silly. They didn't say it in so many words but a mother can tell thank you very much. I was looking for proof. I found it this week. I lifted Elijah's booster seat (in TN he is still required to be in one) and underneath was what I was looking for (well not EXACTLY what I was looking for but it WAS proof!) lots of little mouse droppings! YUCK!!! Then, a few days ago I was at Sam's and brought home a bag of chocolate chips for some wonderful cookies. By the time I got home there was a little hole gnawed in the bag....double YUCK!

So...today, Jeremy *my hero* took the back apart and this is what he found...

tn_100_5200.JPG

A NEST! And you KNOW that where there is a nest...there are ...

tn_100_5203.JPG

BABIES!!! Beyond yuck! Although my boys kept telling me how cute they were....I didn't buy it. I kept thinking of what the newspaper would say...."Truck found overturned at the side of the road...reason for the accident unknown"...however they would figure it out once they did the autopsy and found the mouse up my pant leg!

It is amazing how much damage one small mouse can cause...

tn_100_5202.JPG

Look at all of that shredded mess. Insulation...straw...paper towels and plenty of food thanks to my "eat ALL the time" boys. The worst part is that we never found mama mouse. We left traps intact and hope to entice her tonight with some of her apparently favorite food...chocolate chips.

What happened to the babies you ask? Can you say kitty kitty?

*UPDATE* I hauled grain last night - something nibbled into the bag on the way home...mama mouse is STILL in my truck....can you guess what I want for Christmas?

9 comments:

  1. Those babies ARE SO CUTE! I've always had a soft spot for rodents. Leah thinks I'm nuts, but the first thing I would of thought of was keeping them for pets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Scott,
    Weeelllll, if you REALLY like them, when I catch mama I can put her in a box and mail her to NY. I'll label it so Leah doesn't open it :) It could be a Merry Christmas thing - ;)

    I'll call my new little bull cute but those things....yech!

    Merry Christmas,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little sleeping fellow looks so sweet!

    I can send you about 20 cats if you need any. Free! Free shipping and handling! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andi,
    He is pretty sweet - still my cuddlebug!

    I have 5 cats - good mousers - that live outside. I thought about putting them in the car...then I had to weigh....mouse...cat pee...mouse...cat pee.........mouse won.

    I set more traps tonight - pray hard!

    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  5. As to your little guy, how can you resist a face like that? Don't they look so angelic when they're sleeping?

    As the mice, I'm with you. Yuck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last comment was supposed to say As to the mice.

    I just read your post to my husband and daughter and showed them the pictures. You have our sincerest compassion.

    That post alone is an award winner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HATE RATS! I did manage to let a baby mouse escape one time when it was caught in a bucket outside, but I have no compassion for rats! We have a friend that has a boa snake, and they have to keep rats for it to eat. That alone grosses me out! Thankfully, we've found no traces of either mice or rats in our house or buildings. Guess the cats must be doing the trick.

    Your sleeping son reminds me of my youngest -- any excuse to sleep in our bed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Denise,
    I have always loved to sit in a chair in my littles rooms and just watch them sleep - so utterly peaceful!

    I agree with the YUCK!

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynn,
    If the snake wasn't bad enough...what you have to keep around to feed it....the thought flips my stomach. I don't care for either snakes or rodents. One of the boys has always wanted a "pet" snake....I feel that this is probably a result of some brain damage at birth...because it certainly isn't normal in my book :)

    Can't those boys get creative when they want to snuggle?

    Blessings!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails