Monday, September 6, 2010

Challah Bread

My recipe for Challah Bread comes from one of my favorite series of cookbooks and magazines.  Taste of Home.  I found this recipe in my "go to" baking book..."The Taste of Home Baking Book".  I LOVE this book!  I go to this book for ideas, new things to try and it's where I found many of my "tried and true" favorites. If you love to bake, you'll love this book.

First the recipe...then, next post, the picture tutorial...

Challah Bread


2 pkgs. active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 - 115 degrees)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup sugar
1 tblsp. salt
4 eggs
6 to 6 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour

TOPPING:
1 egg
1 tsp. water
1 tblsp. sesame or poppy seeds (optional)

1.  In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water.  Add the oil, sugar, salt, eggs and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth.  Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough. (I find it usually takes close to the 6 1/2 cups)

2.  Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic. (I do this in my DLX!) Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. (I use olive oil!) Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.  (About an hour).

3.  Punch dough down.  Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half.  Divide each portion into thirds.  Shape each piece into a 15 inch rope.  Place three ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid.  Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Repeat with remaining dough.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about an hour. (I use parchment paper instead of greasing my baking sheet).

4.  Beat egg and cold water; brush over braids.  Sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds if desired.  Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.

This is an easy recipe and yields two beautiful loaves of Challah bread!

Next post... how you do it step by step in pictures!

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails