Friday, July 20, 2007

And on my political sentiments...

This quote is from the late Lyn Nofziger. Mr. Nofziger served as press secretary in Ronald Reagan's administration as Governor of California and as a White House advisor during the Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan presidencies. Shortly before he passed away, he wrote this (bold emphasis mine!)....
"These Things I Believe."

"That government should butt out. That freedom is our most precious commodity and if we are not eternally vigilant, government will take it all away. That individual freedom demands individual responsibility. That government is not a necessary good but an unavoidable evil. That the executive branch has grown too strong, the judicial branch too arrogant and the legislative branch too stupid. That political parties have become close to meaningless. That government should work to insure the rights of the individual, not plot to take them away. That government should provide for the national defense and work to insure domestic tranquility. That foreign trade should be fair rather than free. That America should be wary of foreign entanglements. That the tree of liberty needs to be watered from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government. That states are the bulwark of our freedom. That states should have the right to secede from the Union. That once a year we should hang someone in government as an example to his fellows."

My sentiments exactly folks! Oh...and that last sentence..... might not be a bad idea!

5 comments:

  1. I wonder if he expressed such sentiments while he was actually IN the government?

    I've been watching presidential candidates lately and wondering ... why don't they actually take a stand? On anything? They are for women's reproductive freedom, but don't like abortion ... they are for defending our country but against war ... they are for gun-control but pro-hunting. Come on, candidates. Don't you think you ought to actually tell us what you believe before we elect you? Shouldn't that be a requirement?

    I'd almost vote for someone just on the basis of an actual belief being expressed. If a candidate got up and said, "I'm against XYZ and here's what I'm going to do about it right after I get elected" then I'd at least know where I stood with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question Ernie! Wouldn't that be a refreshing change - trouble is we have lots of politicians and few statesmen....too many seeking office to benefit themselves instead of the country...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: that last sentence. Are you taking nominations? Because I can think of a couple I'd like to see swing first......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Burns! You gave me such a good chuckle :)
    I wonder if the head of your list matches the head of mine!
    Blessings,
    cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails