Friday, March 14, 2008

Pruning Apple Trees 101

There is no way to really teach you to trim apple trees unless you come and visit me and we work together...at least that is how I learn best. However, Josiah and I took some pictures in the hopes of giving you an idea of what to do. This should at least get you started.

First...the tools you need....we use a long "limb-lopper". I am sure it has a more scientific name but that's what we call this - it was my Dad's so I can't tell you much more...it allows you to trim branches at a distance...here's a picture...you trim by pulling on the rope.

tn_100_5517.JPG

We also use a ladder, a pruning saw and some small Felco pruners. We were also given a small ratcheting pruner which I really like - it is easy for a woman to use since you don't need a lot of strength to operate it. I have very small hands and it makes it easy to trim through thick limbs because you just go one notch at a time.

The cardinal rule of trimming fruit trees is that you NEVER trim more than 1/3 of the tree at a time. You never want to take more than 1/3 of the wood off of the tree or it could die. NEVER!

Trimming should be done during late fall and winter. We started trimming apple trees in February - usually our coldest month here and we're just finishing up here at the beginning of March.

Okay, now that you are sufficiently warned...what to trim? First of all take off all of the dead wood...if you aren't sure if something is dead keep an eye on it this year. When you find a branch that doesn't leaf out you know it is dead - put a spot of spray paint on it so that next fall you will know what to cut.

Next you want to take out any branches that touch or rub against each other. When you trim off a branch you want to trim very close to the connecting branch..if you leave too much sticking out then it will sprout and you'll be trimming it again next year. This is where the saw comes in handy.

Here is a portion of our tree before trimming...

tn_100_5518.JPG

tn_100_5519.JPG

What a mess! We started with the dead wood and then moved to the branches that rubbed or touched...and then finally you will look for branches, big and small that are growing back toward the middle of the tree. Take 'em out! You want the tree to be like a large and open canopy.

They say you should be able to throw a cat through an apple tree without hitting anything....* I DO NOT recommend you try this! * :)

I spent about 3 hours climbing around in this tree and standing on a ladder...Elijah was by my side helping for most of that time. When things got too high for me we called in Josiah. Josiah is the most nimble-footed child I have ever met - I think he could walk a tight rope in this sleep. He took it to the next level...

tn_100_5522.JPG

By using the limb-loppers he could get almost to the top. This tree had not been done in years and years...really you need to prune your trees each year. It will take three years to get your initial pruning done if you have established trees. The best way is to care for them properly from planting time. Then the small amount you need to trim each year after that will not equal one third of the tree. Josiah and I completely trimmed our small orchard of newer trees in just a few hours. This tree took much longer...just to trim one third.

But the end results...

tn_100_5524.JPG

tn_100_5525.JPG

We were pleased - although we have seen a few places that we missed. Thankfully there is always next year! Now...what to do with all the branches?

tn_100_5527.JPG

As you can see...there were a LOT! We feed them to our goats a little at a time...they consider it a tasty treat. They will eat the small branches and completely strip the bark from the larger limbs. It is also a wonderful wood to use for smoking meat or grilling over. As Grandma always said: waste not, want not. We are trying hard to re-cycle, re-use, use up etc. so that we are good stewards of what the Father sees fit to place in our hands while keeping a balance so that we are not keepers of junk.

It is always hard for me..this trimming thing...I keep thinking of all the little apples that would sprout from those branches. But the theory is that the remaining limbs will produce much larger and healthier fruit. I am excited this year to see if that theory is visible in the portion of the tree that was trimmed.

And, as gardening/farming always does, it brings so many of our Father's words to life...
John 15:2
Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.

Although His pruning in my life is very hard and at times painful...I endure knowing that His purpose is to make sure that I bear more fruit...and I look forward to the next season to see what His hands have wrought in my life.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you!

    I have at least 30 old apple trees begging for my attention. We got started on some of them last year, but there's SO much more to do. Your photos made me smile... we've been on the right track, and this WILL be worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you run out of trees to prune at your house, you are welcome to come here!! Michael has started the pruning process here, but we did our little trees first. We still have that huge overgrown tree in the back facing us. I have a question...Is the dead branched considered part of the 1/3 of the tree that you should remove or is it just extra because they are already dead?
    grace and peace,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your blog. I read it often and am greatly blessed by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial! We look forward to planting some apple trees in TN this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heidi,
    Glad it helped!
    Cheri

    Julie...have you looked at the apple tree by my barn?
    Cheri

    Sara,
    Thank you! You encouraged me today :)
    Cheri

    Cheri...woo hoo! I like that TN part!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was looking to add Solar panels to my roof. However I have trees that are way to tall and block much of the sun especiallly in the winter. How much of a tree,(cherry,Maple,Oak) can i cut off before I risk killing them? They are about 10-20 feet too tall. Should I do this one the leaves fall off? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. James,
    For fruit trees, you need to do the trimming in the dead of winter and you don't ever want to take off more than 1/3 of the tree a year. I'm not sure what is safe for hardwoods. You might want to call your local extension office to see if they know or can recommend someone to you. An agriculturally based college might help...and the internet is probably full of answers :)

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great information and with pictures! Now I can doing the trimming with confidence.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Virgil,
    So happy it was helpful!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for a clear explanation of pruning. One of my trees is leaning despite a stake -how do I straighten it up

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would you come to PA and trim some tress?

    What part of TN are you from, are you near knoxville?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails