Monday, July 14, 2008

Garlic Knots!

First of all..the recipe.
Garlic Knots

2 1/2 tsp. yeast

1/4 c. dry milk

4 cups bread or all-purpose flour

1 1/3 tsp. salt

1 1/2 Tbsp. sugar

1 1/3 cup hot water

1 1/4 Tbsp. butter

Butter, garlic cloves and freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Put all ingredients into mixer or bread machine. Mix until thoroughly blended (or if in machine go through the first knead). Let rise till double...about 1 hour. Form into thin ropes, tie into knots and let rise again on an ungreased cookie sheet. (I cover rolls with a piece of cheesecloth or cotton dish towel.) Bake at 350 for 15 min.

Note: If you prefer a more golden color, brush each roll, before baking, with 1 egg white mixed with 1 tbsp water.

TOPPING #1 - When the rolls come out of the oven, brush each with melted butter and then sprinkle with garlic salt.
TOPPING #2 - Melt butter with freshly minced garlic. Brush this over the rolls when they first come out of the oven. Grate fresh Parmesan cheese and sprinkle liberally over the rolls.

Serve WARM.

Now, for the "how to" part. Take a handful of dough....once you have done a few you will be able to gauge how much. I use about this much:



You are going to roll this into a log. Remember play dough? Take a trip back in time and roll it together between your hands like this:



You should end up with a nice long log like this:



Here's the tricky part...you are going to take this long log and tie it into a knot. Don't know how to do video so you are just going to have to work this one out....I loop it around my hand, push the end through and into a knot.



Your finished knots should look something like these - not too big (cause they are really going to rise!) and not too small. (I have made small ones when cooking for a large crowd).



Let them sit another 20 minutes - they will rise beautifully!

Once done, pick your topping and serve. My boys prefer TOPPING #2!

Once a week, our church serves a homemade meal to the kids on campus at a local college through the summer. Today I made a quadruple batch of these to take to the college. And here is what they looked like just before I added a second layer. This is with TOPPING #2.



Can you see the cheese and butter? YUMMY! This is not one of my healthiest recipes...but certainly is one of the tastiest. You can substitute some of the all purpose/bread flour with wheat...not sure how to get around the powdered milk.

Ok...you aspiring bread bakers...tie on your aprons and get busy (you do know you can't cook properly without an apron right?). I want to hear all about your results!!!! (This means you G.!)

Ya'll have fun now!

7 comments:

  1. We make these but we roll the batch of dough out and cut it into strips with a pizza cutter and then tie the knots, thus emilimating the step of rolling each piece into a rope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound SO GOOD! I'll have to try them with my boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. MamaLion...what a great idea!

    Jess, my boys sure love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take my word for it...Cheri's garlic knots are the B-E-S-T ever!!!!!

    grace and peace,
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to try these with my girls! I promised them weekly cooking class and this would be a great bread class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara (in Tennessee)August 11, 2008 at 9:25 AM

    Cheri, When you say dry milk, do you mena instant or non-instant? or does it matter?

    Thanks, Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara,
    I never use instant....I get my dried milk at the local Mennonite store. Hope that helps,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails