Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Saying good-bye to Grandma's things...

I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I would be selling some of Grandma's things.  I need to ease the monthly struggle of paying bills...meet some needs for my boys....and Christmas is coming...something that isn't in my budget.

Although I have a twinge of sadness about this, it really isn't that hard.  I think that my previous post on Gratitude (scroll down) has a lot to do with this....putting things into perspective....learning what is important and what is not.

They are just things...old and lovely things to be sure....but just things.



They really aren't important...they will, like most everything, turn to dust and remain here.  The important things.... people, relationships...we take those with us when we move to heavenly realms.

I enjoyed them when they were at Grandma's and I have enjoyed them in my own home for years.  I have been twice blessed!  The cabinet above was a part of every summer visit.  Being allowed to unlock the doors with the funny old keys with scrollwork tops and being allowed to wash everything in the cabinet...what a thrill!  We would dust the cabinet thoroughly and then lovingly place each piece, sparkly clean, back in their proper places.  I am thankful for the time it resided with me and I hope it, and it's contents, end up in a home where it will be cherished as much as it has been here.



Grandma had many (many!) tables in her home.  They each displayed a different type of glass...ruby, cobalt, depression, carnival and more.  In fact, it was hard to walk through Grandma's house!  I always worried when my boys were small....afraid they would bump or knock something and break it but we managed to avoid that disaster!

I did a bit of re-arranging as soon as I got there each year...relocating the most dangerous scenarios to much higher and safer places.  The boys could have done a lot of damage!  One of the first things I always cleared was this oak pedestal.



It always had something fragile on it...and it was right outside the door to the kitchen!  I had to be careful not to knock off the "antique of choice" that year into a thousand pieces.  I am so thankful we always managed to leave with everything intact!

Grandma collected antiques for over 50 years!  I am hoping to keep some other pieces...things that are closer to my heart.  But, if it becomes necessary, I'm willing to part with whatever I must. I write to you at my Grandpa's desk....lots of heart strings to my Grandpa and I enjoy knowing that I am paying bills, writing and planning at the same place he spent much of his life paying bills, writing and planning!  I have my Aunt Annie's (Grandma's sister) needlepoint chair - I have fond memories of her farm and the time I spent there as a little girl....sitting in the chair with the pretty seat!  I have Perky the Parrot - an old cast iron bottle opener - again heart memories with my Grandpa...and then there is the ugly bird.  If ya'll are really lucky I will post someday about Perky the Parrot and the ugly bird and why they are so near and dear to my heart.

I will be placing an ad soon and saying good-bye to Grandma's things.  I hope they arrive in homes where they will be enjoyed, admired and loved...as they were with us.  I'll miss them but I have the memories.  Will I be sorry to see them go?  Not really...after all...they are just things.

And ya'll know as well as I do....things just aren't that important....but the people in our lives are...and meeting their needs and hopes and perhaps even making a few dreams come true...that makes it all worthwhile!

Blessings,

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you're having to sell these items....but you are completely right, they are just earthly things. Are you using craigslist? We've have tremendous success using it- we've paid off 2 credit cards in 3 months just by selling things on there- stuff we had, left over remodeling job materials and stuff we've found on the side of the road with a "free" sign on it!! That puts us one step closer to buying land for a home! Blessings over your sales...you never know who you'll meet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cherri,

    See you are selling some things. I love the china closet and stand (how old are the pieces). How much are you asking? Are you selling anything else? I just love collecting. My daughter and I just love older things, they have such character. Could you please send me a list of what you are selling with prices? I am particularly interested in silver, glass, china, pottery, figurines (I collect Precious Moments) .... Well, basically I like everything. Do you have additional pictures of the two items I isted and or pictures of what else you are selling? Any other furniture other than the small table that you already have up?

    Thank you,

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea,
    Thanks so much, but actually I'm not really bothered by it :) I'll check into Craig's list - thanks!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    Kathleen,
    I have so much...I'll just email you :)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheri,

    I have been praying this past day for buyers to come to you. I will also pray for you (especially) and the boys to feel burdens lifted instead of feeling like you've given up things. The memories will always be there, as you know!

    Save a few antiques to outfit your B & B!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely second the Craig's list idea. In the 6 months we have been here we have sold a piano, a car, a desk, some Richard Nixon campaign buttons (Pat's grandma's) and gotten rid of all of our moving boxes.

    We listed on the Knoxville area Craig's list and had people drive an hour (when prices were high!) to look at and buy our stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb,
    Thanks so much for praying...I'll keep you informed :)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    Cheri,
    Found Craig's List and have listed them...we'll see what happens :)
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will forward on this post to a friend who is looking for items for her daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Elizabeth,
    Thanks so much!!
    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails