Sunday, November 2, 2008

Garden Goodies!

This wasn't the best year for us in the garden.  We did OK but hopefully next year will be much better!  We got our garden in on time and things were going well but come late April, all of May and most of June things began to slide.  I was so busy preparing for court that the weeds got ahead of us.  It was dismal.

However, the good news, is that I canned plenty of green beans to get us through till next year.  And, although our tomatoes didn't do well at all (really weird - they usually do great!) we did get some canned.  Seems like lots of people had trouble with tomatoes this year.  They were small and not nearly as flavorful as normal.  We are thankful for what we did get and look forward to a better year next year.  I try to keep count of how many pounds of tomatoes I process each year.  Not counting the fresh eating and the sharing with family and friends, I usually process over 800 lbs. per year.  This sounds like a lot but when you think it takes 45 pounds of tomatoes to come up with 6 quarts of spaghetti sauce.....well, I just don't know why Prego isn't $20 a jar.  What do we do with all those tomatoes?  I can them whole, make and can spaghetti sauce, tomato sauce and ketchup. Yummy!



This was a banner year for peppers!  I've never seen plants so big - waist high!  We have eaten our fill, sliced and frozen enough for a year's worth of fajitas and dehydrated tons.  We picked our last bell peppers, jalapenos and cayenne's last week just before a predicted drop to 30 degrees one night.  We pulled up our Red Fresnos, because they were still loaded with green peppers...they are now hanging upside down in the garden shed so the peppers will turn red.....yummy!



It won't take long in the dehydrator for this big bowl of peppers to dry.   I store them in canning jars and then use them in cooking and on salads throughout the winter.  They add a nice crunch to the salad.  The jars of peppers look beautiful on the pantry shelf....



I dry the cayenne peppers too.  I use them in herbal preparations and for cooking.  Our last batch just wasn't enough to fill up this jar.



I also can the jalapenos.  I haven't had to buy them for years!  I like to can them mixed...green and red.  A truly ripe jalapeno will be red.  The flavor is so much better than if you pick them while they are still green...of course they are hotter too - but that is fine by me!



I was so tired of canning jalapenos that I was glad to give the last 5 or 10 pounds away.

I froze the Red Fresnos as they were picked.  I use them to make a killer wing sauce.  Now that things are slowing down outside (well, at least in the garden!)...I'll be setting aside a day to turn them all into sauce.  Once the sauce is done, I will can the sauce and then I think I can put the canner away for the winter.

We still have some things growing in our fall garden.  Cabbage, broccoli, spinach, lettuce (all kinds!) radishes, onions and mache.  I've covered the bed when it gets below 32...we are back in a warm spell for the next little bit - now the challenge is to keep the chickens out of the garden.  I came home one day to find them scratching up my little spinach plants....I thought about canning the chickens!

I love looking at my colorful pantry shelves!  Although, I must confess, it is a lot of work.  Hot, tedious, time-consuming work.  But, when the cold wind blows, and the grocery store prices rise, I am thankful I took the time.

I am in the process of re-writing my Perpetual Garden Calendar!  I am adding some new tid bits and hope to get a "zone conversion" chart in it also.  I am looking for the paper to print it on and may actually try to do it myself this time.  Several of you have asked about it...my goal is to have it available before next year's gardening season.  I'll keep you updated!

So, what's growing in your fall gardens?

Blessings,

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have been nusy, thanks for sharing your days with all of us. I do enjoy reading about them.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was suppossed to be BUSY, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. whew!!!i'm tired, i'm going to bed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippee! Your new calendar sounds wonderful! I can't wait! Your first calendar has been a wealth of information and such a help to a novice like me as we put in our very first garden this year. It was pretty good but not nearly as good as other gardeners in our area. So, we will perservere and see if we can't improve our soil (with your great ground cover suggestions!) and do some other things to break up our 'clay like' soil.

    Now if you'd just write a "Canning for Dummies" ebook, I'll be set! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so much work, wow!

    and I have no garden... I can barely keep house plants alive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, I can't believe how much produce you can but I know how a large amount can sometimes equal a small amount of the end result-like apples for applesauce.
    I realized after I wrote my post on your last message about antiques that although you get my website you wouldn't get my email(sometimes I can be a ditsy blond!) so here it is....sorry bout that.
    Blessings to you this week.
    Noreen
    email:werhis3@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cheri,
    We didn't do the best with tomatoes, either. We finally pulled what was left in the field and I am still waiting for them to ripen. Trouble is, they seem to spoil before they are ready to can. Hope we do better next year. I just finished canning carrots, enough for 2 years! And we still have tons in the field. I am hoping to keep some over the winter and then the rest will go to the animals. We had tons of green beans, but hardly any green pepper or cayennes. Our potatoes were poor this year; the boys estimated 1200 lbs, but we ended up with only 200 lbs. It was a strange year. We were the most sad that frost got our corn before we even had one cob.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy,
    thought you might be trying to say nutsy :)

    Kay,
    It makes me tired too!

    Lady Why,
    So glad the old one has helped..I'll blog when the new one is ready :)

    Amanda,
    We need to talk ;)

    Noreen,
    Thanks!

    Sara,
    Aw, shucks!

    Blessings ladies!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheri, you were reffered to me by a freind who recently took your 30 day medicinal herb course. I have been reading your blog and checking out your products. I must say, God has given you an awsome gift. You are everything I desire to be. I could learn a-lot from you and would love to. But, I'm a southern girl turned YANKEE!(meaning I am too far away to meet you). Though the southern hospitality still lives in me. My husband and I have an Old 113 yr old farmhouse in need of serious TLC w/ almost an acre in beautiful Western Pa nestled among the Amish. Big enough for us. We have 4 beutiful little blessings. Myra 8, Dale 5, Myla 3, and Mara 11mths, 1 Scottish Terrior, 8 Hens and 2 Roosters . We Home school our children and love the country life that our God has so mercifully blessed us with. We have grown a garden for the past 3 yrs and have increased the size each spring. Our tomatoes did not do well this yr either. I love to can,and freeze but this yr just wasn't as bountiful and oh the WEEDS. I also love to grow herbs, but currently only grow those that I am familur with, primarily for tea and cooking. My husband and I both have an interest in Herbs and their medicinal uses. While we have books that tell us the herb and their use, it does not tell us specifically how to make the product, how to store or how to use it. I would also like to learn how to, and when to harvest herbs. I also noticed you use raised beds. I am interested in this but know nothing about it and can not seem to convince my husband to try it. Also how do you take care of the weeds the watering and do you have the gardens right near your house or are they a distance away? Have any books you suggest? I am also curious about how to rotate gardening by seasons,( like the fall gardening you mentioned).I would love to get to the point where we are pretty self sufficaint and I can make my own breads and can, store and preserve our foods, however it seems some days it is all I can do to get some laundry done and school the kids. Though it seems that I spend a-lot of time cleaning up and picking up, my house is always a mess. GOD HELP ME!! You would think I would be dicouraged by all that you do, However I find you to be an insperation and a breath of fresh air.... I wish we were neighbors! Soooo THANK YOU for sharing you and your family and your life with us. Your Web-site and Blog are a blessing and I just may be enrolling in your Medicinal herb course and frequintly checking out your Blog. God Bless you and your family, Christina Nicoll

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Christina!
    Sounds like you live in a beautiful place! I LOVE old farmhouses!

    Growing herbs - it is so great that you are already doing this. Each year try to add a few and become familiar with them. Learn what to use them for and then use them. This way, over time, you will increase your garden and knowledge without becoming completely overwhelmed. I still do this.

    I don't know what was up with the tomatoes this year. Seems everyone had problems.

    I look forward to working with you when you take the herb course...I think it will make the "How to" portion very easy for you as well as explain how and when to harvest your herbs.

    Raised beds are good for many reasons - less erosion, better temperature and water control, and more!

    My garden is very close to my house. Out of sight - out of mind definitely applies to gardens! I use plastic mulch to help control weeds - otherwise I would HATE gardening! I have recommended some books on my website - you can read that list here:
    http://www.sweethollowfarm.com/page/page/3154782.htm
    We use drip irrigation for watering so it is very easy. It also isn't very expensive - we use Drip Works.

    Many of your questions are answered in my Perpetual Gardening Calendar. I am sold out right now and adding some updates. I hope to have it published again by the first of the year...just in time to start planning gardens!

    Please, PLEASE, don't think I have it all together. Seems like I am always behind somewhere! And somedays it is all I can do to get laundry done, cook meals and homeschool!

    My house is not always neat, sometimes I have dishes in the sink and the laundry is NEVER done. I also have 3 boys to help me. We all work very hard and work together every day to accomplish something....in or out of the house. It is a part of our schedule.

    I'm so glad you aren't discouraged - please don't get discouraged...just take one small step at a time and just concentrate on doing the next thing.

    Blessings,
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails